1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Basic Physics Questions

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    I am very embarrassed to ask these questions because compared to other questions on these boards, these two seem very basic. Nonetheless, I have never taking physics and I am having a hard time grasping its concepts. So here are two simple questions that maybe someone could answer and explain for me. Thanks!

1st Q: During a short interval of time the speed v in m/s of an automobile is given by v = at^2 + bt^3, where the time t is in seconds. The units of a and b should be?

2nd Q: Suppose A = B^n*C^m, where A has dimensions LT, B has dimensions L^2T^–1, and C has dimensions LT^2. Then the exponents n and m have the values:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to show your work before we can help-- forum rules. What do you know about the dimensions of an equation?
  4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    To be honest, I have no idea where to start with these two questions. I was hoping someone could get me started with either one. The only thing I know about dimensions is that acceleration is Length/Time^2 and speed is Length/time. My teacher zipped through this part and the book does not seem to talk about it. In other words, i don't know much about dimensions :(
  5. Aug 28, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The units on both sides of an equation must be the same.
    You can multiply/divide different units but you can only add/subtract the same units ( a bit like canceling fractions).

so, area (m^2) = length(m) * width(m)
    or, distance(m) = speed(m/s)*time(s) + 1/2 acceleration(m/s^2)*time(s)^2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?