2 Bit Adder: Inputs 0,1,0,1 Outputs

• Thread starter SatellitePlus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adder Bit
In summary, the conversation discusses the truth table for a logic gate that is a 2 bit adder. The inputs, in the order of the truth table, are 0, 1, 0, 1. The outputs are determined by taking the first two inputs as a 2 bit binary number and the second two inputs as another 2 bit binary number. The three outputs give the sum of these two numbers as a 3 bit binary number. However, there appears to be a mistake on the 9th line where 01+10 does not equal 110, but instead 011. The conversation also mentions making a 3 bit adder, which would involve adding a third input to the logic gate.
SatellitePlus
Hello! I've been working out the truth table to a logic gate which I've been told is a 2 Bit Adder. The inputs, in the order of the truth table below are 0, 1, 0, 1.

Code:
Inputs:                         Outputs: 
0	0	0	0	0	0	0
1	0	0	0	0	1	0
0	1	0	0	0	0	1
0	0	1	0	0	1	0
0	0	0	1	0	0	1
1	1	0	0	0	1	1
1	0	1	0	1	0	0
1	0	0	1	0	1	1
0	1	1	0	1	1	0
0	1	0	1	0	1	0
0	0	1	1	0	1	1
1	1	1	0	1	0	1
1	1	0	1	1	0	0
0	1	1	1	1	0	0
1	0	1	1	1	0	1
1	1	1	1	1	1	0

So can anyone tell me why this is a 2 bit adder? Just from the truth table. My guess would be that the outputs are never all ones, but I think that's just half the story. And how would I go about making a 3 bit adder?

Technology news on Phys.org
I'd say its because if you take to the first two inputs as a 2 bit binary number and the second two inputs as another 2 bit binary number, the three outputs will give the sum of these two numbers as a three bit binary number. However, there appears to be a mistake on the 9th line. 01+10 does not equal 110, but instead 011. (1+2 does not equal 6, but instead 3)

What is a 2 Bit Adder?

A 2 Bit Adder is a digital circuit that can perform addition on two binary numbers, each with two bits (0 or 1). It takes in four inputs (two for each number) and produces two outputs (one for each digit of the sum).

What are the inputs for a 2 Bit Adder?

The inputs for a 2 Bit Adder are two binary numbers, each with two bits. For example, the inputs could be 0,1 and 0,1 which would represent the numbers 1 and 1 respectively.

How does a 2 Bit Adder work?

A 2 Bit Adder works by using basic logic gates (such as AND, OR, and XOR) to combine the two input numbers and produce the sum. The first bit of the sum is calculated using a half-adder, which adds the two least significant bits. The second bit is calculated using a full-adder, which takes into account any carry from the first bit addition. The outputs of the half-adder and full-adder are then combined to produce the final sum.

What are the outputs of a 2 Bit Adder?

The outputs of a 2 Bit Adder are two binary digits, representing the sum of the two input numbers. The first output represents the least significant bit of the sum, and the second output represents the most significant bit.

What are some real-world applications of a 2 Bit Adder?

A 2 Bit Adder is a key component in digital circuits and is used in various electronic devices such as calculators, computers, and digital clocks. It is also used in more complex circuits to perform larger calculations and operations.