Designing a 2-Bit Half Adder: How to Add Two 2-Bit Numbers Without Carry?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a 2-bit half adder that adds two 2-bit numbers without using a full adder. The issue is dealing with the carry from the first adder and ensuring the correct result. The person asking for help shares their design and assumptions, but it is determined to be incorrect. The correct design should have a carry output and only output a 1 when the sum of the two numbers is greater than 3.
delta59
I had a cpre exam last night and this was the last question. Can some one tell me the answer, I'm curious if I got it right or not. The part that tripped me up was a 2 bit "half adder". I assumed I wasn't supposed to use a full adder. So I'm not sure what to do with the carry from the first adder.

In this problem we will design a 2-bit half adder(add without carry) that adds two 2-bit number, denoted by ab/cd respectively and produces a 3 bit output (c,s1,s0)

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you come up with?

i am sure you know that 2 H.A.= 1 F.A.
and that carry 'travels' from one adder to the next one. All digital design books show you how it's done.
right?

Last edited:
delta59 said:
In this problem we will design a 2-bit half adder(add without carry) that adds two 2-bit number, denoted by ab/cd respectively and produces a 3 bit output (c,s1,s0)

You want to make sure it will produce the right answer, I think that should indicate what to do with the result of adding the first two bits together.

A half-adder means there is no carry in. A 2-bit half adder is a box that adds two 2-bit numbers but there is no carry coming in.

Here is what I got and my assumption of the circuit. Sorry in the drawing s1 is s1 and s2 is s0

Attachments

• circut.jpg
    circut.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
lewando said:
What did you come up with?

this look right

I think it is safe to say you got this one wrong. Your tables do not look right. For example, c should be a 1 only when ab + cd > 3.

[edit-- fyi, a half adder has a carry output. A full adder has a carry input and a carry output.]

Last edited:

1. What is a 2 bit half adder truth table?

A 2 bit half adder truth table is a table that shows the output of a half adder circuit for all possible combinations of two binary inputs (0 or 1). It is used to determine the sum and carry outputs for a basic binary addition operation.

2. How does a 2 bit half adder truth table work?

A 2 bit half adder truth table works by using logic gates to calculate the sum and carry outputs for two input bits. The inputs are fed into the circuit and the outputs are determined based on the truth table, which follows the rules of binary addition.

3. What are the inputs and outputs of a 2 bit half adder truth table?

The inputs of a 2 bit half adder truth table are two binary bits (A and B). The outputs are the sum (S) and carry (C) for the binary addition operation.

4. Why is a 2 bit half adder truth table important?

A 2 bit half adder truth table is important because it is the fundamental building block of more complex arithmetic circuits. It is used in digital logic and computer engineering to perform binary addition operations, which are essential for performing calculations and processing data.

5. Can a 2 bit half adder truth table be expanded to add more bits?

Yes, a 2 bit half adder truth table can be expanded to add more bits by cascading multiple half adder circuits together. This allows for the addition of larger binary numbers and is the basis for creating full adder and multi-bit adder circuits.