1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 bit half adder truth table?

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    I had a cpre exam last night and this was the last question. Can some one tell me the answer, I'm curious if I got it right or not. The part that tripped me up was a 2 bit "half adder". I assumed I wasn't supposed to use a full adder. So I'm not sure what to do with the carry from the first adder.

In this problem we will design a 2-bit half adder(add without carry) that adds two 2-bit number, denoted by ab/cd respectively and produces a 3 bit output (c,s1,s0)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

What did you come up with?

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    i am sure you know that 2 H.A.= 1 F.A.
    and that carry 'travels' from one adder to the next one. All digital design books show you how it's done.
    right?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    You want to make sure it will produce the right answer, I think that should indicate what to do with the result of adding the first two bits together.

A half-adder means there is no carry in. A 2-bit half adder is a box that adds two 2-bit numbers but there is no carry coming in.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    Here is what I got and my assumption of the circuit. Sorry in the drawing s1 is s1 and s2 is s0

Attached Files:

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6
    this look right

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7

lewando

Gold Member

I think it is safe to say you got this one wrong. Your tables do not look right. For example, c should be a 1 only when ab + cd > 3.

[edit-- fyi, a half adder has a carry output. A full adder has a carry input and a carry output.]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook