2 blocks, a light string and kinetic friction

In summary, the conversation discusses two boxes of fruit on a frictionless surface, connected by a light string. One box has a mass of 10kg and the other has a mass of 20kg. A force of 50N is applied to the 20kg box and the questions are to determine the acceleration of each box and the tension in the string. The answers are 1.7 m/s^2 for acceleration and 17 N for tension. The second part of the problem introduces a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.10 and the equation used is Newton's 2nd Law. The force of friction must be taken into account and once it is found, the acceleration can be calculated.
Trista
So, there are two boxes of fruit on a frictionless horizontal surface and are connected by a light string. m1=10kg, m2=20kg. A force of 50N is applied to the 20-kg box.
There are two questions to answer, I already answered a:
Determine the acceleration of each box, and the tension in the string:
a= F/m1+m2 = 50N/30kg = 1.7 m/s^2 and T=m1a ... T=10kg(1.7 m/s) = 17 N.
This is the one I can't figure out, b:
Repeat the problem for the case where the coefficient of kinetic friction between each box and the surface is 0.10. So, mu k = .10
I figured that the equation to use is Newtons 2nd Law, sum Fx=T-fk=m1a1. But I can't get it to work. I actually know the answer, but I don't know how to get there. Any help?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the force of friction is always hold your force. So the sum of the forces will be:

Fp - Ffriction = ma

Find the friction and plug the number in.

Then you can find our answer

Thank You

got it. I appreciate your help.

1. What are the basic components required for a simple 2 block system?

The basic components required for a simple 2 block system are two blocks connected by a light string and a surface with kinetic friction.

2. How does the tension in the light string affect the motion of the blocks?

The tension in the light string is responsible for transferring the force between the blocks, causing them to move. As the tension increases, the blocks will accelerate at a faster rate.

3. What is kinetic friction and how does it affect the motion of the blocks?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. In the case of a 2 block system, kinetic friction between the blocks and the surface will cause the blocks to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

4. Can the kinetic friction coefficient between the blocks and the surface be changed?

Yes, the kinetic friction coefficient can be changed by altering the surface material or the weight of the blocks. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater resistance to motion.

5. How can the motion of the blocks be calculated in a 2 block system with kinetic friction?

The motion of the blocks can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the equations for calculating the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of objects. The presence of kinetic friction will also need to be taken into account in the calculations.