Solving 2 Blocks on a Spring: Ma = Kx

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker struggling with a physics question and discussing their thought process with another person. They initially thought that treating two blocks as one object would work, but it was marked as incorrect. They then realize the issue was with preciseness and try a different approach using the elastic potential energy equation.
eri139
Homework Statement
A 5 kilogram block is fastened to a vertical spring that has a spring constant of 1300 newtons per meter. A 3 kilogram block rests motionless on top of the 5 kilogram block.

a. When the blocks are at rest, how much is the spring compressed from its original length?
Relevant Equations
F = ma, F = kx
I honestly have no idea why I'm getting this question wrong, because it seems fairly straightforward.

I thought that treating the two blocks as one object would work, so 5 + 3 = 8. With Fg = Fs, ma = kx. Then, 8 x 9.8/1300 = x. x would be 0.06. That's been marked as an incorrect answer, though.

Thank you for any help!

edit: I got it! the issue was with preciseness, I didn't enter enough digits

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well for (a), please forgive me if I am wrong, but I am visualizing the problem as if you placed the 3kg block on top of the 5kg spring system. Therefore, the original length was when the 5kg spring system had no extra weight and the compressed length was when you placed the 3kg block on top i.e. m = 3 not m = 5 + 3

I have a Dream said:
well for (a), please forgive me if I am wrong, but I am visualizing the problem as if you placed the 3kg block on top of the 5kg spring system. Therefore, the original length was when the 5kg spring system had no extra weight and the compressed length was when you placed the 3kg block on top i.e. m = 3 not m = 5 + 3
I thought you had it for a moment! That would make a lot of sense. But unfortunately I just tried it and it's still incorrect :(

eri139 said:
I thought you had it for a moment! That would make a lot of sense. But unfortunately I just tried it and it's still incorrect :(
So sorry! As my last comment I feel as if working with the elastic potential energy equation
For springs: PE = (1/2)kx^(2) is worth a shot. Since PE Is also equal to mgh or mgx in this case. Keep on working hard! You got this!

1. What does the equation Ma = Kx represent?

The equation Ma = Kx represents Hooke's Law, which states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In this equation, M represents the mass of the object attached to the spring, a represents the acceleration of the object, K represents the spring constant, and x represents the displacement of the spring.

2. How is the spring constant (K) determined?

The spring constant (K) can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. The ratio of this force to the displacement (K = F/x) is the spring constant. It is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m).

3. How does the mass of the object affect the spring's behavior?

The mass of the object affects the spring's behavior by influencing the force required to stretch or compress the spring. Heavier objects will require more force to move the spring a certain distance, while lighter objects will require less force. The mass also affects the period of oscillation of the spring-mass system.

4. What is the significance of the acceleration (a) in the equation?

The acceleration (a) in the equation represents the acceleration of the object attached to the spring. This can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion (F = ma), where F is the net force acting on the object. The acceleration affects the displacement and velocity of the object, which in turn affects the behavior of the spring.

5. How is this equation used in real-world applications?

This equation has numerous real-world applications, such as in the design of suspension systems in vehicles, determining the stiffness of materials, and studying the behavior of earthquake-resistant structures. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as mechanical, civil, and aerospace engineering.