1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 blocks

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hand pushes on block A. Block B is on the right side of block A. If block a has A mass of 20kg and block B has a mass of 12 kg, and the acceleration equals 4m/s^s, what is the force that block B exerts on Block A

2. Relevant equations
    F=m/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    F=20kg/4m/s^2 but I am not sure if this, in which I used the mass for block A, is it or if i have to use block B mass. I am kind of confused on which one

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

The force that block B exerts on block A is the same as the force that block A exerts on block B (that's one of newton's laws).

You could find this force by evaluating the forces for either block A or block B, but it would be easier to analyze block B.

What are all the forces acting on block B? What is the net force on block B? ([itex]F_{net}=ma[/itex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted