Solving Two Bosons in a Box Problem

In summary, the conversation is about two spinless free bosons in a box with periodic boundary conditions. The normalized wavefunction is discussed for p not equal to q and for p=q. It is stated that for p=q, the wavefunction is symmetric and for p not equal to q, it is greater than the wavefunction for p=q. However, the speaker is having difficulties with implementing this in their code.
Henk
I'm having some difficulties with the following problem:

Consider two (spinless)free bosons in a box of volume V with periodic boundary conditions. Let the momenta of the bosons be p and q.
a) Write down the normalized wavefunction for p is not equal to q and p = q.

\Psi_{pq}(r1,r2)

I thought since they are bosons Y has to be symmetric thus:

\Psi_{pq}(r1,r2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\varphi_{p}(r1)\varphi_{q}(r2)+ \varphi_{p}(r2)\varphi_{q}(r1))

Where

\varphi_{p}(r1)\varphi_{q}(r2) = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}(e^(i(p \cdot r1))(e^(i(q \cdot r2))

and

\varphi_{p}(r2)\varphi_{q}(r1) = \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}(e^(i(p \cdot r2))(e^(i(q \cdot r1))

For p=q this means:

\Psi_{pq}(r1,r2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}(2e^(i(k \cdot (r1+r2)))

b) Show that for p is not equal to q:

\Psi_{pq}(r,r)|^2 > |\Psi_{pp}(r,r)|^2

But I don't know how to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to fix your latex.

I tried but the weird thing is that it even gives a mistake if I try something simpel as [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

try writing it without the [tex] stuff. Then people who know latex can at least read it with a bit of difficulty.

1. What is the "two bosons in a box" problem?

The "two bosons in a box" problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves studying the behavior of two identical bosons (particles with integer spin) confined in a finite space, such as a box. It is used to understand the properties of bosons and their interactions in a confined system.

2. What is the significance of studying this problem?

Studying the "two bosons in a box" problem can provide insights into the behavior of bosons in a variety of physical systems, such as atoms, nuclei, and even superconductors. It can also help us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how particles interact with each other in a confined space.

3. How is this problem solved?

The "two bosons in a box" problem is usually solved using mathematical techniques from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation. This involves finding the wave function that describes the system and using it to calculate the energy levels and other properties of the two bosons in the box.

4. What are some possible applications of the solution to this problem?

The solution to the "two bosons in a box" problem can have applications in a variety of fields, including quantum computing, condensed matter physics, and atomic and molecular physics. It can also help us design and understand the behavior of advanced materials and devices.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in solving this problem?

As with any theoretical problem, there are certain limitations and assumptions that must be made in solving the "two bosons in a box" problem. For example, it assumes that the bosons are confined in a two-dimensional space and that they do not interact with each other. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world scenarios, but they allow us to simplify the problem and gain a better understanding of its fundamental principles.