1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Cal 1 problems cant figure out

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    1) the given function is defined for x>0 except for x=2. Find the value to be assigned to f(2), if any, to guarantee that f is continuous at 2.

f( x ) = sin(pi x) / (x-2)

cant figure out how to change the equation so i can plug 2 in, i think im loking right past it, tried multiplying by x-2, didnt work

2) For what value of the constants a and b is the function f continuous for all x

f(x) = ( (ax-4)/(x-2) x not equal to 2
    | b x = 2

i know b is equal to to, but cant figure out how to change the first equation to find a.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2
    For the first question, do you mean "to guarantee that f is discontinuous at 2"? If that's what you mean, just substitute x=2 into the equation. You should be able to see right away that it cannot exist at that point. Hint: look at the denominator...
  4. Feb 5, 2005 #3
    For number 1 you have a removable discontinuity. You don't actually change the equation you must make f(x) into a piecewise defined function so that when x=2 the definition of f(x) is such that it is defined and so that it is continuous at x=2. So you would want to know the limit of f(x) as x approached 2. that is a 0/0 so you need to figure out what to do from here.

Good luck
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  5. Feb 5, 2005 #4
    for number 2, all I see is an a in the expression you gave. I would need to know where the b is to figure that one out. Maybe you could rewrite it and make sure it is exaclty as it should be? Then I might be able to help you some more.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5
    can't you jsut use L'Hopital's rule for the first part
  7. Feb 5, 2005 #6
    Yeah but he was suppose to figure that one out on his own...... :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?