Comparing Cars A and B: Who Wins the Race?

• Thread starter 4ertenok_1981
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Race
In summary: Da/(Vb-Va)) ?distance= Vb*(Da/(Vb-Va)) ?:(:(In summary, the cars will reach their destination at different times due to the differing speeds of Car A and Car B.
4ertenok_1981

Homework Statement

Cars A and B are racing each other along the same straight road in the following manner: Car A has a head start and is a distance Da beyond the starting line at t=0. The starting line is at x=0. Car A travels at a constant speed Va. Car B starts at the starting line but has a better engine than Car A, and thus Car B travels at a constant speed Vb, which is greater than Va.

How far from Car B's starting line will the cars be when Car B passes Car A?

Homework Equations

I have figured that the time to catch up = Da/(Vb-Va)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above, I now have this:

D=t(to catch up)*(Vb-Va)+Da

Does this look right?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The time looks right. But not the distance.

Consider car B, [tex] s = D_a + v_a t [/tex]. Then consider car A, [tex] s = v_b t [/tex]. However, the two [tex]s[/tex]s are equal, and hence the equations could be equated. And you got that. Now going back to the distance, it is just [tex] s [/tex] at that specific time, and you already have [tex]s(t) [/tex] as a function of time [tex] t [/tex].

bel said:
Consider car B, [tex] s = D_a + v_a t [/tex]. Then consider car A, [tex] s = v_b t [/tex]. However, the two [tex]s[/tex]s are equal, and hence the equations could be equated. And you got that. Now going back to the distance, it is just [tex] s [/tex] at that specific time, and you already have [tex]s(t) [/tex] as a function of time [tex] t [/tex].

...I don't understand the last part...

The distance [tex]s[/tex] is the distance measured from the sarting point of car B. And that distance changes because the point where you measure it from are the cars and the cars are in motion. The car's motion is given as a function of a variable time [tex]t[/tex], which you found already.

bel said:
The distance [tex]s[/tex] is the distance measured from the sarting point of car B. And that distance changes because the point where you measure it from are the cars and the cars are in motion. The car's motion is given as a function of a variable time [tex]t[/tex], which you found already.

So, then...distance= t(to catch up)* (Vb-Va)?
:(
it's been a while since I took physics at high school, now I'm struggling at uni...

4ertenok_1981 said:
So, then...distance= t(to catch up)* (Vb-Va)?
:(
it's been a while since I took physics at high school, now I'm struggling at uni...

At any time t, what is the distance that car B has travelled?

learningphysics said:
At any time t, what is the distance that car B has travelled?

v/t?

Given the variable of time, [tex]t[/tex], you could use the either of the formulae describing the distance of the cars from the starting point of car B to find the distance, since at that time [tex]t[/tex], both the cars are at the same position. The main concern of this question is to reduce the number of variables as much as possible, so I've reduced it to only one distance variable [tex]s[/tex], to be measured from the initial position of car B and the variable [tex]t[/tex], which is the same for both cars and described both cars' motion with respect to these variables.

4ertenok_1981 said:
v/t?

Distance = velocity*time

I think we need to go back to the first part... look at bel's posts also... what is the position of car A at any time... what is the position of car B at any time...

bel said:
Given the variable of time, [tex]t[/tex], you could use the either of the formulae describing the distance of the cars from the starting point of car B to find the distance, since at that time [tex]t[/tex], both the cars are at the same position. The main concern of this question is to reduce the number of variables as much as possible, so I've reduced it to only one distance variable [tex]s[/tex], to be measured from the initial position of car B and the variable [tex]t[/tex], which is the same for both cars and described both cars' motion with respect to these variables.

I don't know why I'm not getting it...i'll try to start from scratch..
meanwhile, any sites with formulae you can recommend? I don't even have any of my high school notes.
Thanks so much for your help! :)

learningphysics said:
Distance = velocity*time

I think we need to go back to the first part... look at bel's posts also... what is the position of car A at any time... what is the position of car B at any time...

Ok...Position of car A=v*t+Da
Position of car B-v*t...

4ertenok_1981 said:
Ok...Position of car A=v*t+Da
Position of car B-v*t...

How about this?
distance= Vb*(Da/(Vb-Va)) ?
Or=Vb*t (time it took to catch up)?

I already gave the formulae above, and by those (i.e., by equating the [tex]s[/tex]s, as I mentioned), I came to your conclusion that "
I have figured that the time to catch up = Da/(Vb-Va)".

4ertenok_1981 said:
How about this?
distance= Vb*(Da/(Vb-Va)) ?

Yes, that's the answer. Be sure you understand why it's the answer though.

position of car A = Da + va*t
position of car B = vb*t

you set the two positions equal and solve for time. when you get the time, you can get the position, by either substituting into the car A equation or the car B equation. Both will work. Using the car B equation you immediately get vb*Da/(vb-va) I'll also do the car A one.

[tex]Da + va*(Da/(vb-va)) = \frac{Da*vb-Da*va +va*Da}{vb-va} = \frac{Da*vb}{vb-va}[/tex]

the reason it works is because you solved for the time the positions are equal. so the two positions will come out the same with either formula.

It's better to use the car B formula since it's easier to evaluate the result.

thanks!

1. How do you determine who wins the race between Cars A and B?

To determine who wins the race between Cars A and B, we first need to establish the criteria for winning. This could be based on factors such as speed, acceleration, handling, or any other performance metrics. Then, we would need to conduct a controlled and fair race between the two cars, using professional equipment and trained drivers. The winner would be determined by which car performs better according to the established criteria.

2. What are the differences between Cars A and B that could affect the outcome of the race?

Cars A and B could differ in a variety of ways that could affect the outcome of the race. This could include the engine type and size, transmission, weight, aerodynamics, tires, and other technical specifications. Additionally, the driver's skill and experience could also play a role in the race outcome.

3. Is it fair to compare Cars A and B if they are from different manufacturers?

It can be fair to compare Cars A and B even if they are from different manufacturers. However, it is important to consider that each manufacturer may have their own unique design and engineering methods, which could result in differences in performance between the two cars. Therefore, it is important to conduct a fair and controlled race, as mentioned in the first question, to accurately compare the two cars.

4. Can you predict the winner of the race between Cars A and B?

As a scientist, I cannot make any predictions without conducting a proper experiment and collecting data. While we can make assumptions based on the technical specifications and past performances of the cars, the outcome of the race can only be determined by actually conducting the race.

5. Is the winner of the race between Cars A and B always the better car?

The winner of the race between Cars A and B may not always be the better car. As mentioned earlier, the outcome of the race can be affected by various factors such as the driver's skill and experience, track conditions, and other variables. Therefore, it is important to not solely rely on a single race to determine which car is better. A more comprehensive and controlled comparison of the two cars would provide a more accurate answer.