Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 2 Chemistry Grade 11 Questions

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I need help on these two questions.

1.Describe the differences between the dissociation of an acid (or base) in water and the ionization of an acid (or base) in water.

2. A student working in a chemistry laboratory is given 2 bottles, each filled with 1.00L of clear and colourless liquid. The first bottle is labeled "Hydrochloric Acid - 2mol/L" and the other just simply says "Calcium Hydroxide" Describe an experiment that this student can conduct in order to determine the exact concentration in mol/L of calcium hydroxide.

I ask these questions because I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Well from what i remember off my Freshman Chemistry. The Theory of Acid-Bases by Arrhenius will help to answer your first question.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first pertains to a reaction of the acid/base with water (Ka and Kb), the second refers to water's role in stabilizing the transition states and final ionic charges.

5. May 1, 2005 #4
    you could just set up an acid-base titration experiment.

6. May 3, 2005 #5
    My teacher has done an acid-base titration experiment during a class but I don't know how it works. Could someone explain it to me?
    Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook