1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Chemistry Grade 11 Questions

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I need help on these two questions.

1.Describe the differences between the dissociation of an acid (or base) in water and the ionization of an acid (or base) in water.

2. A student working in a chemistry laboratory is given 2 bottles, each filled with 1.00L of clear and colourless liquid. The first bottle is labeled "Hydrochloric Acid - 2mol/L" and the other just simply says "Calcium Hydroxide" Describe an experiment that this student can conduct in order to determine the exact concentration in mol/L of calcium hydroxide.

I ask these questions because I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Well from what i remember off my Freshman Chemistry. The Theory of Acid-Bases by Arrhenius will help to answer your first question.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first pertains to a reaction of the acid/base with water (Ka and Kb), the second refers to water's role in stabilizing the transition states and final ionic charges.

5. May 1, 2005 #4
    you could just set up an acid-base titration experiment.

6. May 3, 2005 #5
    My teacher has done an acid-base titration experiment during a class but I don't know how it works. Could someone explain it to me?
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?