2 Chemistry questions - need some help

• Thread starter J_o_S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the process of esterification is a two step process in which the double bond is first broken and then Br- attacks. The first step is a substitution reaction and the second step is an addition reaction.
J_o_S
got it. thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) (i) ----> Break the double bond of propene heterolytically and see where the carbocation is more stable , Br- will attack on the more stable carbocation (if the reaction is being undertaken in absence of peroxide)

(ii) This process is known as esterification , look for the mechanism for esterification in your book and sort out the reaction yourself and show your work.

(i)Electrophilic Substitution

(ii) Esterification.

BJ

Last edited:
J_o_s: First of all, its 1-propene. Refer the IUPAC nomenclature rules.

Then, look at the structure of propene. The carbon-carbon double bond is rich in electrons. And HBr is an acid. Therefore, where will the H+ ion attack? What's the intermediate formed? Have you learned about carbocations and their rearrangments?Then what will the Br- do?
Also, have you learned about Markovnikov rule.?

Dr Brain: it's an Electrophilic Addition reaction.

Last edited:
J_o_S said:
For a) I was thinking I could just show that both reaction mechanisms add up to the same reaction.

for b)i) I think the reaction rate would triple, for b)ii) I don't think the reaction rate would change.

not sure about part c

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

parts a,b(i) and b(ii) are right
For part c, use the fact that the rate of the reaction depends only on the concentration of I-.
Also the rate determining step is the slowest step of a reaction.

siddharth said:
J_o_s: First of all, its 1-propene. Refer the IUPAC nomenclature rules.

Then, look at the structure of propene. The carbon-carbon double bond is rich in electrons. And HBr is an acid. Therefore, where will the H+ ion attack? What's the intermediate formed? Have you learned about carbocations and their rearrangments?Then what will the Br- do?
Also, have you learned about Markovnikov rule.?

Dr Brain: it's an Electrophilic Addition reaction.

siddharth , this is a two stage process ,first the double bond is broken and then Br- attacks.In addition processes, the attack and leaving processes both take place simultaneously.

For 2) part ,

i) The first part is simple.You have been given the step-wise mechanism for a single reaction , when you add them up , they both give the same reaction.The difference between both of these mechanisms is that of 'slow' steps which are the 'rate-determining-steps'.

Here (2) is the correct mechanism .Search for the reason. Maybe you know something about how a reaction progresses , from slow to fast? ...or medium,slow and fast?

Dr.Brain said:
siddharth , this is a two stage process ,first the double bond is broken and then Br- attacks.In addition processes, the attack and leaving processes both take place simultaneously.

A reaction in which the substrate and the reagent add up to form a product is called addition reaction.
In this case, HBr is the reagent and propene is the substrate.
Where is the leaving process in the addition reaction??

siddharth said:
A reaction in which the substrate and the reagent add up to form a product is called addition reaction.
In this case, HBr is the reagent and propene is the substrate.
Where is the leaving process in the addition reaction?

Leaving process is in substitution and not in addition , have you heard of
[itex]S_N - 1[/itex] and [itex]S_N - 2[/itex] ... ? , the same happens here.

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
Leaving process is in substitution and not in addition , have you heard of
[itex]S_N - 1[/itex] and [itex]S_N - 2[/itex] ... ? , the same happens here.

BJ

Let's go through the definitions again

Addition reaction:

Substitution reaction:
A reaction in which one group or atom is replaced by another is called a substitution reaction.

Also, under addition reactions, we have
(i) Electrophilic addition reaction:
Here the attacking species is an electrophile.(Example: Br+ or H+) An example would be
CH2=CH2 + Br2 ----------> CH2Br-CH2Br

(ii) Nucleophilic addition reaction:
The attacking species is a nucleophile(example: CN-). An example would be
the cyanohydrin reaction
RCHO + HCN ---------> RCH(OH)(CN)

And under substitution reactions, we have
(i) Free radical substitution
Example:
CH4 + Cl2------------> CH3Cl + HCl

(ii) Nucleophilic substitution
Here one nucleophile is displaced by another.
Example:
R-X + OH- ----------> R-OH + X-

This reaction can proceed under two major mechanisms, namely the SN1 and SN2 mechanisms. SN1 is a first order reaction and follows first order kinetics whereas SN2 is a second order reaction and follows second order kinetics.
Apart from this there is also the SNi mechanism or Substitution Nucleophilic Internal mechanism.

In the above reaction the attacking species is OH- and the leaving group is X-

(iii) Electrophilic (aromatic) substitution.

Example:
ArH + RCl ---------> ArR + HCl.

Here the attacking species is the electrophile E+ ( In the above example R+).
and the leaving species is H+.

So, what does the reaction
CH3-CH=CH2 + HBr ---------> CH3-CHBr-CH3 fit under?
Obviously it is an addition reaction.
Also, the attacking species is H+ which is an electrophile. Therefore the reaction is an electrophilic addition reaction.
Hope that clears things up.

Apart from this there is a third class of organic reactions which are the elimination reactions. But that's another story.

(ii) Nucleophilic substitution
Here one nucleophile is displaced by another.
Example:
R-X + OH- ----------> R-OH + X-

This reaction can proceed under two major mechanisms, namely the SN1 and SN2 mechanisms. SN1 is a first order reaction and follows first order kinetics whereas SN2 is a second order reaction and follows second order kinetics.
Apart from this there is also the SNi mechanism or Substitution Nucleophilic Internal mechanism.

In the above reaction the attacking species is OH- and the leaving group is X-

You said it all. In the above reaction if it had been a complex substrate other than propene, the carbocation re-arrangement would have taken place, and after the [itex]C^+[/itex]
rearranges , the Br- attacks just like in SN-1 reactions.This is a two step mechanism.A case of substitution.

BJ

So what if it is a two step mechanism? The criterion for substitution reaction is NOT a two step mechanism. In fact, SN2 reaction is via a SINGLE STEP mechanism but it is a substitution reaction.
The criterion for a substitution reaction is that something must get substituted. If you say CH3-CH=CH2 + HBr ---------> CH3-CHBr-CH3 is a substitution reaction, what is getting substituted?

Do you know the mechanism for [itex]CH_3 - CH = CH_2[/itex] with [itex]Br_2[/itex], it follows a bromonium ion mechanism , another example that a cation is involved in a substitution.Same in above.

The difference between Substitution and Addition is that in substitution , the reagent ion substitutes the most favourable position depending on where the carbocation stability is max and in addition is an enforced version in which one atom is 'pushed' out , rather being allowed to stabilise.

A substitution reaction is when one group REPLACES another. In the reaction between Propene and Br2 and the reaction between Propene and HBr, there is NO substitution.
In other words, there is no replacement of one group by another group.

What happens is that the substrate ADDS with the reagent to give the final product.
If you notice in these reactions, there is no leaving group. Since the substrate ADDS with the reagent, it is an example of and ADDITION reaction.

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements chemically bonded together.

What is the periodic table and how is it organized?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all known elements, organized by their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties.

How do you calculate the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom?

The number of protons is equal to the atomic number, the number of neutrons can be calculated by subtracting the atomic number from the atomic mass, and the number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom.

What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat and energy, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat and energy.

How does the pH scale work?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, ranging from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is neutral, below 7 is acidic, and above 7 is basic. Each whole number change on the scale represents a 10-fold change in acidity or basicity.