Neither of those is a real number, much less a positive real number.

In summary, the exponential form of 1/j is e^(-j*pi/2) and it can be derived using Euler's identity or formula. The magnitude of a complex number is defined as the square root of the number times its complex conjugate, which corresponds to the distance from the origin in the complex plane. The formula for finding the magnitude of a complex number involves squaring the number and multiplying it by its conjugate.
Bob Busby
How do you get the exponential form of 1/j? I saw a problem that says it's e^(-j*pi/2) but I have no idea where that came from.

Also, if you have a complex number, z, how do you find it's magnitude? For example, e^(j*pi*t - pi/2). In my book when they square the the magnitude of a complex number they multiply by the conjugate (e.g. |z|^2 = e^(j*pi*t - pi/2) * e^(-j*pi*t + pi/2) Why is this? Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For your first question, note that 1/j = -j. To get this take 1/j and multiply by j/j:
[tex]\frac{1}{j}=\frac{j}{j^2}=-j[/tex]

For your second question, the definition of the magnitude of a complex number is that it is the square root of itself times its complex conjugate. To see that this corresponds to the distance from the origin when complex numbers are plotted as points in a plane, notice that if z=a+bj, then
zz*=(a+bj)(a-bj)=a2 + b2
Which is the square of the distance from the origin by the Pythagorean theorem.

Bob Busby said:
How do you get the exponential form of 1/j? I saw a problem that says it's e^(-j*pi/2) but I have no idea where that came from.
You could start with Euler's identity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_identity:

[tex]e^{i \pi} + 1 = 0 [/tex]

==>

[tex]e^{i \pi} = -1 [/tex]

[tex](e^{i \pi})^{1/2} = \sqrt{-1} = i [/tex]

[tex]e^{i \pi/2} = i [/tex]

[tex](e^{i \pi/2})^{-1} = \frac{1}{i} = -i[/tex]

[tex]e^{-i \pi/2} = -i[/tex]

Alternatively you could start with Euler's formula:

[tex]e^{i\varphi} = \cos{\varphi} + i \sin{\varphi} [/tex]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula

Now from this Wikipedia diagram of the complex plane...

220px-Euler%27s_formula.svg.png

... it can be seen that when the real part is zero, that [itex]\varphi[/itex] must be [itex]\pi/2[/itex] so:

[tex]e^{i\pi/2} = \cos{(\pi/2)} + i \sin{(\pi/2)} = i[/tex]

(since [itex]\cos{(\pi/2)}=0 [/itex] and [itex]\sin{(\pi/2)}=1 [/itex])

[tex]e^{-i\pi/2} = -i = 1/i[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
ohhh my god... that question make me headache almost the time...:)

if z is a complex no...Z=X =iY then the magnitude of Z is simply =√ X+iY

chwala said:
if z is a complex no...Z=X =iY then the magnitude of Z is simply =√ X+iY
Completely wrong. If Z= X+iY then the magnitude of Z is the non-negative real number
[tex]\sqrt{X^2+ Y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{X+ iY}[/tex]
is any of those complex numbers whose square is X+ iY

For example, if z= i= 0+ i(1) then the magnitude of z is [itex]|z|= \sqrt{1^2+ 1^2}= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. But
[tex]\sqrt{z}= \sqrt{ i}= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}i[/tex]
or
[tex]\sqrt{z}= \sqrt{i}= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}i[/tex]

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The standard form of a complex number is a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part represented by the imaginary unit i.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and combine the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3+5) + (2+4)i = 8 + 6i.

3. Can you multiply complex numbers?

Yes, you can multiply complex numbers by using the FOIL method, just like multiplying binomials. For example, (2 + 3i)(4 - 5i) = 8 - 10i + 12i - 15i^2 = (8 - 15) + (12 - 10)i = -7 + 2i.

4. How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you need to multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate of a + bi is a - bi. For example, (2 + 3i) / (4 - 5i) = (2 + 3i)(4 + 5i) / (4 - 5i)(4 + 5i) = (8 + 22i) / (16 + 25) = (8/41) + (22/41)i.

5. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus, also known as the absolute value, of a complex number is the distance from the complex number to the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. For example, the modulus of 3 + 4i is √(3^2 + 4^2) = √25 = 5.