Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-D and coins

1. May 19, 2007 #1
    Well I am doing a minor project on dimensions and probablity.Please friends try this out:-----------

A coin of diameter d is tossed randomly onto the rectangular cartesian plane .
    What is the probablity that the coin does not intersect any line whose equation is of the forms :-------
    (a) y=mx+c
    (b) (x/a)+(y/b)=1

I am trying first with 2-D figure but if I get a proper answer I can find for euclidean plane too.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2
    (b) is also a line. I assume you mean to square the x and y.

Obviously, you need to somehow restrict the area you're working with. You cannot use the entire euclidean plane as there exists no uniform distribution over it.

4. May 20, 2007 #3
    Ziox,You are right about your point on euclidean plane.I have not yet thought about that.But buddy, (b) is the intercept form of a line which cuts off intercepts a and b from x and y-axis respectively.Have you tried the (a) part ???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?