Determining Final Velocity in 2-Dimensional Collision Problem

• Thread starter dnawiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, a neutron of mass 1.7 X 10^-27 kg traveling at 2.2 km/s collides with a stationary helium nucleus of mass 6.6 X 10^-27 kg. After the collision, the helium nucleus has a velocity of 0.53 km/s at 52° to the original direction of motion of the neutron. To determine the final velocity of the neutron, the equations pi1x+pi2x=pf1x+pf2x and pi1y+pi2y=pf1y+pf2y are used. By converting all velocities to m/s and accounting for the masses of the particles, the final velocity of the neutron is calculated to be 1
dnawiam

Homework Statement

A neutron of mass 1.7 X 10^-27 kg traveling at 2.2 km/s, hits a stationary helium nucleus of mass 6.6 X 10^-27 kg. After the collision, the velocity of the helium nucleus is 0.53 km/s at 52° to the original direction of motion of the neutron. Determine the final velocity of the neutron.

Homework Equations

pi1x+pi2x=pf1x+pf2x
pi1y+pi2y=pf1y+pf2y

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed all the km/s to m/s since the answer is in m/s

(1.7X10^-27(2200)-6.6X10^-27(530cos52))/1.7X10^-27=vficos∅
933.18m/s=vficos∅

Well, it does not matter what i get for the y component since the answer 1.9 m/s and 933 is just too high.
So, is the answer wrong or did i do something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer you were given should have been 1.9 km/s rather than 1.9 m/s.

Well, I did solve it for km/s I got 1.05 km/s.
vf2y=0.53sin52
vf2y=0.418km/s
vf2x=0.933 km/s

If you use the Pythagorean theorem you get 1.05km/s

dnawiam said:
Well, I did solve it for km/s I got 1.05 km/s.
vf2y=0.53sin52
vf2y=0.418km/s

You did not account for the masses of the particles in this calculation.

TSny said:
You did not account for the masses of the particles in this calculation.

You are right. How silly of me. Well, I got 1.9 km /m for my answer. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a 2-D collision problem?

A 2-D collision problem is a physics problem that involves the interaction between two objects in a two-dimensional space. It can be solved using principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

2. How is the momentum of objects involved in a 2-D collision problem calculated?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass with its velocity. In a 2-D collision problem, the momentum of each object before and after the collision must be conserved.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in a 2-D collision problem?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound, resulting in a decrease in the total kinetic energy.

4. How can the final velocities of objects be determined in a 2-D collision problem?

The final velocities of objects can be determined by solving simultaneous equations using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. The equations will depend on the type of collision (elastic or inelastic) and the initial velocities and masses of the objects.

5. Can the 2-D collision problem be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, the principles of 2-D collision problems can be applied to real-life scenarios such as car crashes, billiard ball collisions, and sports collisions. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics experiments to study the dynamics of objects in motion.