1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-d Diffraction

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to solve the following homework problem:

1) A laser beam of light with wavelength λ=600nm shines perpendicular to a slide that has a
    rectangular pattern of small holes that can be viewed as point sources. The spacing
    between the holes is a=40μm and b=30μm along the x and y directions, respectively. The
    light passing through the slide is projected on a screen 2 meters behind the slide.
    Determine the positions of the spots on the screen using the small angle approximation.
    Describe how the answer to problem 1 changes if the holes are squares of side 10μm.

2. Relevant equations

Sigma[e^i(Delta(k)*T]*S(g)

S(g) = integral[(e^(G dot r)*A(r))dr]

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part, I solved for G, which is the basis for the reciprocal lattice. Since a1 = 40 um and a2 = 30 um, I used the formula which states that a(i) dot b(j) = 2Pi (kronecker delta i,j), so b1 = 2Pi / 40 and b2 = 2Pi / 30. I am confused how I use these reciprocal lattice vectors. Also, do I solve for S(g) in the first part as well as the second part?

Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?