1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-d kinematic question

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lets say I have a .5kg mass traveling at 1200 m/s in the -x direction with 0 acceleration. The force applied to this mass is (2.3i + .093j)N. I have to find position, velocity, and acceleration at say 1 second after the force is applied. No gravitational force involved.

3. The attempt at a solution

F = ma will give me the acceleration. Should I just consider the force applied in the x direction? 2.3 N? I've only dealt with 1-d kinematics to this point...it seems the y force will only come into play for position...I could be wrong though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2
    Vector approach is suitable for this kind of problem . resolve the velocities and forces and apply newton's eqn of motion and equations of motion in straight line to solve the velocities and position at every time in x and y direction independently!!!

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    thanks i see how to do it now.

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4
    Ur welcome buddy!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook