2-d momentum collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a collision between two hockey pucks of equal mass on a rink. The initial velocities and angles of the pucks are given, and the goal is to determine the final velocities of each puck after the collision. The conversation includes equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, and mentions the need to consider both the original direction and a perpendicular direction for the collision.
tamir102

Homework Statement

Two hockey pucks of equal mass undergo a collision
on a hockey rink. One puck is initially at rest, while
the other is moving with a speed of 5.4 m/s. After the
collision, the velocities of the pucks make angles of
33° and 46° relative to the original velocity of the
moving puck. Determine the speed of each puck after the
collision.

V1i=5.4m/s
m1=m2
V2i= 0
V1'=?
V2'=?

Homework Equations

P=P'
M1V1+M2V2=M1V1'+M2V2'
Eki=Ekf
1/2mv1i^2+1/2mv2i^2=1/2mv1'^2+1/2mv2'^2

The Attempt at a Solution

k so i understand we have two unknowns and thus we should have two unknown equations.

so ..

M1V1+M2V2=M1V1'+M2V2'

masses equal so they can be cancelled
and we know V2=0 so that whole part is removed

v1= v1'+v2'

5.4= v1'+v2'

5.4-v1'=v2'

^^ first unknown equation

now when i place it into 1/2mv1i^2+1/2mv2i^2=1/2mv1'^2+1/2mv2'^2
it does not give me the right answer or better yet i do not know how to continue on from this i always get

5.4-v2^2=5.4-v2^2+v2'^2

can someone please explain ...thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a two-dimensional collision so you need to conserve momentum independently along the original direction of the puck and along a direction perpendicular to it. The problem does not mention that kinetic energy is conserved, so you may not assume that it is.

oh okay thank you i will try to figure it out

1. What is 2-d momentum collision?

2-d momentum collision is a type of collision that occurs in two dimensions, where two objects collide and transfer momentum in both the x and y directions.

2. How is the momentum of two objects calculated in a 2-d collision?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a 2-d collision, the momentum in the x and y directions can be calculated separately using the same formula, and then combined to find the total momentum of the system.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum in a 2-d collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum in the x direction before the collision is equal to the total momentum in the x direction after the collision, and the same for the y direction.

4. How do the masses and velocities of the objects affect the outcome of a 2-d collision?

The masses and velocities of the objects play a significant role in determining the outcome of a 2-d collision. Objects with larger masses will have more momentum, and objects with higher velocities will also have more momentum. This can affect how the objects move after the collision and the amount of momentum transferred between them.

5. Can the law of conservation of momentum be applied to all types of collisions?

Yes, the law of conservation of momentum can be applied to all types of collisions, including 2-d collisions. It is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum in a closed system is conserved, regardless of the type of collision that occurs.