2-D Motion and Vectors

• Thread starter lazyykid
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A Coast Guard cutter detects an unidentified ship at a distance of 20.0 km in the direction 15.0° east of north. The ship is traveling at 26.0 km/h on a course at 40.0° east of north. The Coast Guard wishes to send a speedboat to intercept and investigate the vessel. (a) If the speedboat travels at 50.0 km/h, in what direction should it head? Express the direction as a compass bearing with respect to due north. (b) Find the time required for the cutter to intercept the ship.

Homework Equations

Ax=Acosθ
Ay=Asinθ
x=Vit+(1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't know how to go about drawing this problem up. If some one could help me set this up, I would be able to answer it.

Answers and Replies

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
At t = 0 assume the cutter is at x = y = 0, so the ship is at what position?

So what is the ship's position for all t > 0? And, assuming an angle θ for the cutter (with North), what is the cutter's position for all t > 0?

Part (b) can wait until you've solved part (a).

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Start by sketching out the situation.
Draw the position of the coastguard boat, then the position of the unidentified ship.
Draw a velocity vector for the ship - Draw an indication of where, roughly, the velocity of the speedboat points.

Notice that while the speedboat travels, the unidentified ship also changes position.

You can do this as a relative motion problem or as a speed-displacement problem.