1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-d Motion Practice

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A truck loaded with cannonball watermelons stops suddenly to avoid running over the edge of a washed-out bridge (Fig. P4.64). The quick stop causes a number of melons to fly off the truck. One melon rolls over the edge with an initial speed vi = 12.0 m/s in the horizontal direction. A cross-section of the bank has the shape of the bottom half of a parabola with its vertex at the edge of the road, and with the equation y2 = 14x, where x and y are measured in meters. What are the x and y coordinates of the melon when it splatters on the bank?

2. The attempt at a solution

I've been attempting it by making a parabola equation out of 12t=x and -9.8(t)^2=y by solving for t and plugging it in so that y=-9.8(x/12)^2 and finding where it intersects with y^2=14x but it doesn't seem to work so perhapse I'm doing something wrong. Thanks though

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    bump, I really need help on this for tomorrow please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?