Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 2-d Motion Practice

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A truck loaded with cannonball watermelons stops suddenly to avoid running over the edge of a washed-out bridge (Fig. P4.64). The quick stop causes a number of melons to fly off the truck. One melon rolls over the edge with an initial speed vi = 12.0 m/s in the horizontal direction. A cross-section of the bank has the shape of the bottom half of a parabola with its vertex at the edge of the road, and with the equation y2 = 14x, where x and y are measured in meters. What are the x and y coordinates of the melon when it splatters on the bank?

2. The attempt at a solution

I've been attempting it by making a parabola equation out of 12t=x and -9.8(t)^2=y by solving for t and plugging it in so that y=-9.8(x/12)^2 and finding where it intersects with y^2=14x but it doesn't seem to work so perhapse I'm doing something wrong. Thanks though

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    bump, I really need help on this for tomorrow please.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook