Calculating the Speed of a Particle After 8.59 s

In summary, the particle starts from the origin with an initial velocity of 21.8 m/s in the x-direction and -14.1 m/s in the y-direction. It experiences an acceleration of 4.09 m/s^2 in the x-direction. To find the speed of the particle after 8.59 s, the components of the final velocity in the x and y directions must be found using the formula v = vo + at. The final speed can then be determined by calculating the magnitude of the final velocity vector.
the_d
i have a question, it is:

A particle starts from the origin at t=o with an initial velocity having an x component of 21.8 m/s and a y component of -14.1 m/s. The particle moves in the xy plane with an x componet of acceleration only, given by 4.09 m/s^2. I need to find the speed of the particle after 8.59 s.

What I did:

i was goin to use the formula V = Vo + at but that is not correct for some reason

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to use that formula. Keep the components split; find the x and y components of the final velocity of the particle, then add them vectorally to find the speed. (Hint: you have the rate of acceleration and the time during which the particle is accelerated; how can you find the final velocity in the x direction?)

v = vo + at works for the x-component of velocity.

The y component of velocity is constant.

v = vx i + vy j, where i is unit vector in x-direction and j is unit vector in y-direction.

or [itex] v = \sqrt({v_x^2 + v_y^2})[/itex]

the_d said:
i was goin to use the formula V = Vo + at but that is not correct for some reason

Actually, that formula is correct here. You simply need to use it as a vector formula:

[tex] \vec {v} = {\vec {v}}_0 + \vec {a} t[/tex]

This corresponds to two equations, one apiece for the x and y components:

[tex]v_x = v_{0x} + a_x t[/tex]

[tex]v_y = v_{0y} + a_y t[/tex]

You know the components of the initial velocity and the acceleration, so you can find the components of the velocity at any time t. The speed of the particle at any time is the magnitude of the velocity vector at that time, by definition.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a particle after 8.59 s?

The formula for calculating the speed of a particle after 8.59 s is speed = distance / time. This means that the speed of the particle is equal to the distance it has traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

What units are typically used to measure speed?

The most common units used to measure speed are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units such as miles per hour (mph) or feet per second (ft/s) may also be used.

How do I calculate the distance traveled by a particle after 8.59 s if I know its speed?

To calculate the distance traveled by a particle after 8.59 s, you can use the formula distance = speed x time. Simply multiply the speed of the particle by the time (8.59 s) to determine the distance it has traveled.

Can the speed of a particle after 8.59 s be negative?

Yes, the speed of a particle after 8.59 s can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction to its initial velocity. However, the magnitude (absolute value) of the speed remains the same regardless of its direction.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the speed of a particle after 8.59 s?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the speed of a particle after 8.59 s. These include measurement errors, changes in velocity during the 8.59 s time period, and external forces acting on the particle such as friction or air resistance. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors in order to obtain an accurate calculation of speed.