1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-d tug of war problem

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in a two-dimensional tug-of-war, Alex, Betty, and Charles pull horizontally on an automobile tire at the angles shown in the picture. The tire remains stationary in spite of the three pulls. Alex pulls with force of magnitude 211 N, and Charles pulls with force of magnitude 181 N. Note that the direction of is not given. What is the magnitude of Betty's force if Charles pulls in (a) the direction drawn in the picture or (b) the other possible direction for equilibrium?

** I got part a correct but i just do not understand what part b is looking

2. Relevant equations

for part a i used Fb= -fa-Fc
    found angle of fa = 180-42= 138
    fby=-fay-fcy
    fbsin(-90)=-fasin138-fcsintheta
    then did same thing with x components to get angle theta= 29.97 then plugged that angle into formula -fb=-(211N0(sin138)-181N(sin 29.97)
    = 321.60 N

I understand that but how do i do the other possible direction? The question does not even make sense to me

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is good
    your equation is good but your math is off, run those numbers again
    when you summed forces in the x direction, you got theta = 29.97 degrees, yes, but there is also another angle for theta that yields the same cosine value as cos 29.97....what is that angle (hint, in 4th quadrant).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook