2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2

• Thread starter vikcool812
  • Start date
In summary, "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2" is a mathematical expression that represents the derivative of a function with respect to both x and y variables, where the product of x and y is equal to a constant value (c^2). This can be calculated using the product rule of differentiation and has various applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is also possible to have more than 2 different derivatives in this expression.
vikcool812
I have a relation xy=c2 , if i apply implicit differentiation to both sides i get dy/dx =-y/x , but if i write the same thing as y=c2/x , then dy/dx comes out to be -c2/x2 , what's going wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
vikcool812 said:
I have a relation xy=c2 , if i apply implicit differentiation to both sides i get dy/dx =-y/x , but if i write the same thing as y=c2/x , then dy/dx comes out to be -c2/x2 , what's going wrong ?

If xy=c2, then y=c2/x. So -y/x = -c2/x2 You got the same answer, just in a different form

vikcool812 said:
Nothing since -y/x = -c²/x2 !

1. What does "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2" mean?

"2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2" is a mathematical expression that represents the derivative of a function with respect to both x and y variables, where the product of x and y is equal to a constant value (c^2).

2. How do you calculate the derivative of xy=c^2?

The derivative of xy=c^2 can be calculated by using the product rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function. In this case, the derivative would be (x * dy/dx) + (y * dx/dx) = 0, which simplifies to dy/dx = -y/x.

3. Can you give an example of "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2"?

One example of "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2" is the function y = 4x^2, where the derivative with respect to both x and y would be dy/dx = -4x/y.

4. What are the applications of "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2" in real life?

"2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2" has various applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate rates of change, optimize processes, and model relationships between variables.

5. Is it possible to have more than 2 different dy/dx in "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2"?

Yes, it is possible to have more than 2 different dy/dx in "2 different dy/dx of xy=c^2". For example, the function xy^2 = c^2 would have three different derivatives with respect to x, y, and the constant c.