1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-dimension elastic collision

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Puck A has a mass of 0.236 kg and is moving along the x axis with a velocity of 5.56 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.472 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing. Find the final speed of puck A and puck B.
    After the collision puck A has an angle of 65 degrees (in quadrant 2) and puck B has an angle of 37 degrees (in quadrant 3).

2. Relevant equations
    m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2
    1/2m1vi1^2 + 1/2m2vi2^2 = 1/2m1vf1^2 + 1/2m2vf2^2
    A * B = ABcos(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to solve for two final velocities, and I know the initial velocity of puck B is 0. After that, I don't really know where to go with the equations that I have.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

I have no idea what you've tried, but you need to break up the initial and final momentum into x and y components. Then you need to sum them up in each direction to get equations for what you need.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    it's okay hage567, i had lecture today and my professor just went over the material on the homework that was due yesterday, so. this should be an interesting semester... looks like i'm gonna go to the help room a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?