1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 dimensional collision

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    I need help. I dont know how to do this problem becuase i need to solve for both velicty final of a and b and i keep screwing it up, any help you can give me i would appreciate.

"[CJ5 7.P.032.] The drawing shows a collision between two pucks on an air-hockey table. Puck A has a mass of 0.029 kg and is moving along the x axis with a velocity of +5.5 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.049 kg and is initially at rest. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart. A flys off the x axis with a 65 degree angle and B flys off the x axis with a 37 degree angle in the negative y direction.

Find the final speed of
    (a) puck A and

(b) puck B.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will assume no loss of energy (an elastic collision) Before the collision puck 1 has momentum in its direction of motion, and all the energy (kinetic). After the collision the momentum of the two pucks must equal the original momentum of the first puck and the sums of their energies must equal the initial energy of puck 1. Momentum is a vector. You must break momentum of each puck into two components, one in the direction of the original motion and one perpendicular to that direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?