1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Dimensional Impulse

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To make a bounce pass, a player throws a 0.60 kg basketball toward the floor. The ball hits the floor with a speed of 6.5 m/s at an angle of 58° from the vertical. If the ball rebounds with the same speed and angle, what was the impulse delivered to it by the floor?

2. Relevant equations
    I = F*Δt = Δp = Δ(mv)

3. The attempt at a solution
    P= (.60kg)*(6.5m/s)= 3.9 kg*m/s

I'm not sure what to do about the angle, theta. None of the example problems I've seen have used it. I tried multiplying the momentum by cos(theta) but I'm not getting the right answer. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out with the equation for this and explain it =D
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure if this is the right equation, but it seems like something along the lines of what I need:
    m*v*cos(Ѳ) + m*v*sin(Ѳ)

The answer I got was 4.133 kg*m/s. This answer is within the correct range, but the input box says it cannot evaluate my answer ><
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?