What is the impulse delivered by the floor in a 2D bounce pass?

• Thread starter xthursday
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the question asks for the impulse delivered to a 0.60 kg basketball by the floor after it rebounds with a speed of 6.5 m/s at an angle of 58° from the vertical. Using the equation I = Δ(mv), the impulse can be calculated by multiplying the ball's mass and velocity, resulting in a value of 3.9 kg*m/s. However, the angle of 58° must also be taken into account, and the correct equation to use is m*v*cos(Ѳ) + m*v*sin(Ѳ). Using this equation, the calculated impulse is 4.133 kg*m/s.
xthursday

Homework Statement

To make a bounce pass, a player throws a 0.60 kg basketball toward the floor. The ball hits the floor with a speed of 6.5 m/s at an angle of 58° from the vertical. If the ball rebounds with the same speed and angle, what was the impulse delivered to it by the floor?

Homework Equations

I = F*Δt = Δp = Δ(mv)

The Attempt at a Solution

P= (.60kg)*(6.5m/s)= 3.9 kg*m/s

I'm not sure what to do about the angle, theta. None of the example problems I've seen have used it. I tried multiplying the momentum by cos(theta) but I'm not getting the right answer. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out with the equation for this and explain it =D

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is the right equation, but it seems like something along the lines of what I need:
m*v*cos(Ѳ) + m*v*sin(Ѳ)

The answer I got was 4.133 kg*m/s. This answer is within the correct range, but the input box says it cannot evaluate my answer ><

To calculate the impulse delivered to the ball by the floor, we need to consider the change in momentum of the ball. The equation for impulse is I = Δp = mΔv, where m is the mass of the ball and Δv is the change in velocity. In this case, we know the mass of the ball (0.60 kg) and the initial and final velocities (6.5 m/s). To account for the angle, we can use trigonometry to find the vertical component of the velocity, which is the change in velocity in the y-direction. This can be calculated as Δvy = v*sin(theta) = (6.5 m/s)*sin(58°) = 5.7 m/s. Therefore, the impulse delivered to the ball by the floor is I = mΔvy = (0.60 kg)*(5.7 m/s) = 3.42 kg*m/s. This means that the floor exerted a force on the ball for a certain amount of time (Δt) to change its momentum by 3.42 kg*m/s. I hope this helps!

What is a 2 Dimensional Impulse?

A 2 Dimensional Impulse is a sudden, brief force applied in two dimensions, typically represented as a vector with both magnitude and direction.

How is a 2 Dimensional Impulse different from a 1 Dimensional Impulse?

A 2 Dimensional Impulse is applied in two directions, while a 1 Dimensional Impulse is only applied in one direction. This means that a 2 Dimensional Impulse has both a horizontal and vertical component, while a 1 Dimensional Impulse only has a single component.

What are some real-life examples of 2 Dimensional Impulses?

Examples of 2 Dimensional Impulses include a player kicking a soccer ball, a force applied to a moving object at an angle, and a car colliding with another car at an angle.

How is a 2 Dimensional Impulse calculated?

A 2 Dimensional Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied in the horizontal direction by the force applied in the vertical direction.

What are the applications of understanding 2 Dimensional Impulses?

Understanding 2 Dimensional Impulses is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It helps in determining the trajectory of an object, predicting the outcome of collisions, and designing structures that can withstand forces applied in multiple directions.