What is the magnitude of the impulse in a ball-wall collision?

• Thread starter chaotixmonjuish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball of mass 7.0 g that strikes a wall at an angle of 23.0 ° with a speed of 25.2 m/s. The ball rebounds with the same speed and angle and is in contact with the wall for 39.0 ms. The question is regarding the magnitude of the impulse associated with the collision force. The conversation includes calculations and corrections to arrive at the correct answer of 0.1396 N*s.
chaotixmonjuish
A ball of mass 7.0 g with a speed of 25.2 m/s strikes a wall at an angle 23.0 ° and then rebounds with the same speed and angle. It is in contact with the wall for 39.0 ms. What is the magnitude of the impulse associated with the collision force?

img:

x: -mv*sin(23)-mv*sin(23)
y: -mv*cos(23)+mv*cos(23)=0

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I got -137.85, and the magnitude is 137.85/

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnitude of a vector is positive, while the + or - determines direction, as in +x, -x or +i, -i.

I'm pretty sure my free body diagram is right. I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. The computer isn't taking that answer.

I know that both of the vectors are in the negative x direction, and one is in the positive, and the other is in the negative y direction.

I realized that I forgot to convert to kilograms, however, the answers is still wrong:

I got.2098

Last edited:
I noticed the grams think, but I though it was a typo. That said how can you convert 137.85g*m/sec to kg and get .2098?

Oh, I converted the g to kg at the very beginning. 7g=.007kg

so my equation looked like this

Y=0
x=-.007*25.2*sin(23)+-.007*25.2*sin(23)=.2098 N*s

Last edited:
I'd try that again. I get something different. You are doing sin(23) in degrees, yes?

yes, are my numbers in the equation correct.

Okay, I modified my equation and only did the first half of it and got .0698, I multiplied that by 2 and got the right answer. I must have committed an algebra error somewhere.

1. What is a 2-dimensional impulse?

A 2-dimensional impulse is a sudden force or impact applied to an object in two dimensions, typically represented by a vector with a magnitude and direction. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space.

2. How is a 2-dimensional impulse different from a 1-dimensional impulse?

A 2-dimensional impulse is applied in two dimensions, while a 1-dimensional impulse is applied in only one dimension. This means that a 2-dimensional impulse has both a magnitude and direction, while a 1-dimensional impulse only has a magnitude.

3. What are some real-life examples of 2-dimensional impulses?

Some examples of 2-dimensional impulses in everyday life include throwing a ball, hitting a golf ball, or kicking a soccer ball. These actions all involve applying a force in two dimensions to the object being moved.

4. How is a 2-dimensional impulse calculated?

A 2-dimensional impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. This can be represented by the equation I = FΔt, where I is the impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time interval.

5. What is the relationship between 2-dimensional impulse and momentum?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it. This means that a 2-dimensional impulse can cause a change in the momentum of an object in two dimensions, affecting its velocity and direction of motion.