1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2-Dimensional Line charge, around a ring.

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a fairly easy problem, conceptually... but I can't seem to put the numbers together correctly.

A circle with a radius "r" has a linear charge along the circumference with a charge density of [tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0}\sin(\theta)[/tex], where [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] is the max charge along the circumference.

a.) The direction of the electric field at the center of the ring.
    b.) The magnitude.

(They're obviously not looking for a numerical answer)

2. The attempt at a solution

a.) The direction is definitely down, however, I can't seem to 'show' this outside of just my own intuition.

My best attempt at getting everything together is as follows:

[tex]d\vec{E_{x}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]d\vec{E_{y}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}[/tex]

When attempting to get dL into terms of [tex]d\theta[/tex] is when problems arise. I know it has to be simple, but every method I've tried always ends up with a charge of 0 along both the x and y axis's (which is obviouslly wrong).

ETA: I'm not sure if it just suffices to change dL to the x and y components [tex]r\;cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]r\;sin(\theta)[/tex] respectively. It doesn't feel right to me, but it's the best I can come up with right now. (The book doesn't cover a problem like this).
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted