2-Dimensional Line charge, around a ring.

In summary, the problem involves finding the direction and magnitude of the electric field at the center of a circle with a linear charge along the circumference. The direction is down, but there are difficulties in showing this mathematically. The magnitude is likely 0, but there are challenges in finding the correct equation to demonstrate this.
MuckThatGuy

Homework Statement

This is a fairly easy problem, conceptually... but I can't seem to put the numbers together correctly.

A circle with a radius "r" has a linear charge along the circumference with a charge density of [tex]\lambda=\lambda_{0}\sin(\theta)[/tex], where [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] is the max charge along the circumference.

Picture1-3.gif

Find:
a.) The direction of the electric field at the center of the ring.
b.) The magnitude.

(They're obviously not looking for a numerical answer)

2. The attempt at a solution

a.) The direction is definitely down, however, I can't seem to 'show' this outside of just my own intuition.

My best attempt at getting everything together is as follows:

[tex]d\vec{E_{r}}=d\vec{E_{x}}+d\vec{E_{y}}[/tex]

[tex]d\vec{E_{x}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]d\vec{E_{y}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}[/tex]

When attempting to get dL into terms of [tex]d\theta[/tex] is when problems arise. I know it has to be simple, but every method I've tried always ends up with a charge of 0 along both the x and y axis's (which is obviouslly wrong).

ETA: I'm not sure if it just suffices to change dL to the x and y components [tex]r\;cos(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]r\;sin(\theta)[/tex] respectively. It doesn't feel right to me, but it's the best I can come up with right now. (The book doesn't cover a problem like this).

Physics news on Phys.org
b.) I'm fairly sure the magnitude is 0, however again, I can't seem to put the numbers together to show this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I understand your frustration with trying to solve this problem. It can be challenging to put all the pieces together and come up with the correct solution. However, it seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at solving for the electric field at the center of the ring.

To address your concerns, let's first review the concept of a 2-dimensional line charge. A 2-dimensional line charge is a distribution of charge along a line, in this case, the circumference of the circle. This means that the charge is spread out along the entire length of the line, and we need to integrate over this length to find the total electric field at a specific point.

Now, let's look at your approach. You correctly identified that we need to break down the electric field into its x and y components. However, the way you have done it is not quite correct. Let's take a closer look at your equations:

d\vec{E_{x}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}

d\vec{E_{y}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}

The first equation is correct, as it takes into account the total charge along the circumference, \lambda_{0}, and the distance from the center, r. However, the second equation is not quite right. The y-component of the electric field will depend on the distance from the center, r, and the angle, \theta, which is the angle between the line of charge and the y-axis. Therefore, we need to take into account the angle in our integration:

d\vec{E_{y}}=k\int\frac{dQ}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda \;dL}{r^{2}}=k\int\frac{\lambda_{0}sin(\theta)\;dL}{r^{2}}sin\theta

This will give us the correct expression for the y-component of the electric field.

Now, to address your concern about

1. What is a 2-Dimensional Line Charge?

A 2-Dimensional Line Charge is a theoretical construct used in physics to model the behavior of a charged line that is infinitely long in two dimensions. It is often used in electrostatics and electromagnetics to analyze the electric field and potential around the charged line.

2. How does a 2-Dimensional Line Charge differ from a 1-Dimensional Line Charge?

A 2-Dimensional Line Charge extends infinitely in two dimensions, while a 1-Dimensional Line Charge extends infinitely in only one dimension. This means that a 2-Dimensional Line Charge has a greater amount of charge per unit length compared to a 1-Dimensional Line Charge, resulting in a stronger electric field and potential around the line.

3. What is a Ring of 2-Dimensional Line Charge?

A Ring of 2-Dimensional Line Charge is a circular arrangement of an infinite number of 2-Dimensional Line Charges, all with the same charge density and spaced evenly along the circumference of the circle. This configuration is often used to model the electric field and potential around a circular object with a uniform charge distribution.

4. How is the Electric Field Calculated around a Ring of 2-Dimensional Line Charge?

The electric field around a Ring of 2-Dimensional Line Charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field at a point is proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the distance squared. By breaking down the ring into smaller segments and integrating the contributions of each segment, the total electric field can be determined.

5. What are the applications of studying 2-Dimensional Line Charge, around a ring?

The study of 2-Dimensional Line Charge, around a ring has various applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to analyze the electric field and potential around circular objects, such as antennas, electric motors, and charged disks. It also has applications in studying the behavior of charged particles in two-dimensional systems, such as plasmas and semiconductors.