2-Dimensional motion problem im stuck

In summary, the rocket was launched at an angle of 53.0 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100m/s. After moving for 3.00s with an acceleration of 30.0 m/s^2, its engines failed and it continued to move as a projectile. The maximum altitude reached by the rocket was 260m, with a total time of flight of 65.3s and a horizontal range that has not been calculated. It is unclear what happened to the initial speed of 100m/s and how the vertical and horizontal speeds affect the range. If two rockets were shot horizontally from a height y with speeds v_1 and v_2, the flight time for each case would depend
r3dxP
9. A rocket is launched at an angle of 53.0degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 100m/s. It moves for 3.00s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 30.0 m/s^2. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a projectile.
A. What is the maximum altitude reached by the rocket?
Ytotal=Y1+Y2
Y1=(1/2)at^2; y=(1/2)(30.0m/s^2)(9.00s^2); y=13.5m
After 3seconds, the initial velocity is 90.0m/s ( 30.0m/s^2 * 3.00s = 90.0m/s ), so we calculate how long it takes until the gravity acting on the velocity cancel each other out, making the velocity=0m/s. Thus, we find the point where it stops decelerating; (90.0m/s) / (9.8m/s^2) = 9.18s.
Y2=velocity_initial*time + (1/2)(acceleration)(time^2);
Y2=(90.0m/s)*sin(53degrees)*(9.18sec)+(-4.9m/s^2)(9.18s)^2 ~= 247meters.
Ytotal=13.5meters+247meters = 260meters

B. What is its total time of flight?
3.00s+9.18s = 12.2sec; since the maximum altitude is 260.m, we use the free-fall equation, squareroot(2y/g) = squareroot[(520.m) / (9.8m/s^2)], which equals 53.1s. Now, we add the time it took until velocity reached the value of 0, and the time it took for the rocket to fall, so we add these two values, 12.2s+53.1s=65.3s

C. What is its horizontal range?
i tried the A part and B part, but I'm not sure if i did it correctly. If i did this wrong, please tell me and help me with it. C, i have no idea how to do, so any help will be nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A. What happened to the 100m/s initial speed?
C. How does the vertical speed affect the range? How about the horizontal speed? If I shot two rockets perfectly horizontally from a height y at speeds [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex], how long (time) would the flight take in each case?

To calculate the horizontal range, we can use the equation R=Vx*t, where R is the range, Vx is the horizontal component of the initial velocity, and t is the total time of flight. In this case, Vx=100m/s*cos(53degrees) = 58.3m/s. Plugging in the values, we get R=(58.3m/s)*(65.3s) = 3800m. Therefore, the horizontal range of the rocket is approximately 3800 meters.

As for parts A and B, your calculations seem to be correct. To confirm, you can also use the equation Vf=Vi+at to calculate the final velocity after the rocket's engines fail, and then use that value to calculate the maximum height reached using the equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2ay. Both methods should give you the same answer of approximately 260 meters. Additionally, you can check your answer for the total time of flight by using the equation t=(Vf-Vi)/a to calculate the time it takes for the rocket to reach its maximum height, and then adding that to the time it takes for the rocket to fall back to the ground, which should also give you a total of approximately 65.3 seconds. Overall, your approach to solving the problem was correct.

1. What is 2-dimensional motion?

2-dimensional motion is the movement of an object in two perpendicular directions, typically represented by the x and y axes. This type of motion is commonly seen in everyday life, such as objects moving on a flat surface or projectiles moving through the air.

2. How do I solve a 2-dimensional motion problem?

To solve a 2-dimensional motion problem, you will need to break down the motion into its x and y components and apply the laws of motion in each direction. This involves using equations such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement in both the x and y directions.

3. What is the difference between 1-dimensional and 2-dimensional motion?

In 1-dimensional motion, an object is only moving in one direction, either horizontally or vertically. In 2-dimensional motion, an object is moving in two perpendicular directions at the same time, typically represented by the x and y axes. This adds an extra level of complexity in solving the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving 2-dimensional motion problems?

Some common mistakes when solving 2-dimensional motion problems include not properly breaking down the motion into its x and y components, not correctly applying the laws of motion in each direction, and not considering the effects of forces such as gravity or friction in both directions.

5. How can I check my answers for a 2-dimensional motion problem?

You can check your answers for a 2-dimensional motion problem by plugging your values into the original equations and making sure they satisfy the given conditions. Additionally, you can use vector diagrams or graphing tools to visually confirm your solutions.