1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Dimensional Problem

1. Feb 1, 2004 #1
    A quarter back throws a ball 18 m/s at an angle of 35 degrees above the horizontal. Standing 18 m away is the receiver. How far does the receiver have to go and at what speed must he travel to catch the ball.

Assume that the delta Y is 0.
    Assume that the receiver leaves the same time the ball is thrown.
    No outside forces.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2004 #2
    What do u infer from \delta y =0

Can u calculate the distance covered by the ball

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  4. Feb 2, 2004 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Neat question.

First you have to find the time the ball spends in the air based on the Y velocity. Rearrange the distance formula (d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2) or double the rearranged velocity formula (Vf = Vi + at). I personally prefer the velocity one since quadratics make things more difficult.

[tex]t = 2(\frac{V_f - V_i}{a})[/tex]

In this case, t is the total time in the air, Vf is 0, Vi is the initial velocity of the ball and a is gravity (remember that gravity is negative). Expanded looks like this

[tex]t = 2(\frac{0 - 18sin(35)}{-9.81})[/tex]

t = 2.1049

Now find the distance traveled with d = vt.

[tex]d = (18cos(35))(2.1049)[/tex]

d = 31.036

Now as for how far the guy has to run. He's already 18m away but he has to be 31.036m; he has to run 13.036m and he has to be there in 2.1049s. Just divide to get his speed.

Double check my numbers though.

5. Feb 2, 2004 #4
    Thanks that helps alot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?