1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 < e < 3

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    I have to carry out a few steps to show that 2 < e < 3. (e as in 2.71828..)

Let f(t) = 1/t for t > 0.

(a)
    Show that the area under y = f(t), above y = 0, and between t = 1 and t = 2 is less than 1 square unit. Deduce that e < 2.

This is easy, just integrating and getting ln(2). From graph I see that ln(2) < 1 => e > 2.

(b)
    Show that all tangent lines to the graph of f lie below the graph.

Also not very hard; just showing that f'(t) < 0 gives that it's a decreasing function in the interval ]0,inf[, so the tangent lines have negative slopes, hence lies below the graph.

(c)
    Find the lines T_2 and T_3 that are tangent to y = f(t) at t = 2 and t = 3, respectively.

I got
    T_2: y = (-1/4)t + 1
    T_3: y = (-1/9)t + (2/3)

(d)
    Find the area A_2 under T_2, above y = 0, and between t = 1 and t = 2. Also find the area A_3 under T_3, above y = 0, and between t = 2 and t = 3.

I got
    A_2 = 5/8
    A_3 = 7/18

(e)
    Show that A_2 + A_3 > 1 square unit. Deduce that e < 3.

OK, so A_2 + A_3 = (5/8) + (7/18) = 73/72 > 1, but I can't see how this leads to e < 3. Any tips or suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2
    Oh, sorry. I guess I Didn't think long enough.

int(t=1,t=3, 1/t) > A_2 + A_3 > 1, so ln(3) > 1, hence e < 3. bam!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?