1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 equations, 3 unknowns?

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The total energy for a Van der Waals bonded solid is:

[itex]E=-\frac{A}{r^6}+B*e^{-\frac{r}{\rho}}[/itex]

where the 1st and 2nd terms are for attraction and repulsion respectively, A and B are constants, r is the inter-atomic distance, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the range of interaction (i.e. characteristic length)

Given [itex]E=.9*E_{attr.}[/itex] and Eqm Spacing, [itex]r_o[/itex]= 1.5 angstroms, find [itex]\rho[/itex] in angstroms

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first piece of information, [itex]E=.9*E_{attr.}[/itex], gives me:

[itex]E=-\frac{A}{r^6}+B*e^{-\frac{r}{\rho}}=.9*E_{attr.}=.9*(-\frac{A}{r^6})[/itex]

Rearranging yields:

[itex].1*\frac{A}{r^6}=B*e^{\frac{-r}{\rho}}[/itex]

The second piece of information leads me to assume that at r=1.5 the derivative of the expression for total energy=0. This gives me the following equation:

[itex]6\frac{A}{1.5^7}=\frac{B}{\rho}e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}[/itex]

From here I am confused. I first tried to solve [itex].1*\frac{A}{r^6}=B*e^{\frac{-r}{\rho}}[/itex] for A and then substitute that into [itex]6\frac{A}{1.5^7}=\frac{B}{\rho}e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}[/itex].
    Seeing no way out, I set the r's in the equation for A to 1.5. This led to:

[itex]\frac{60}{1.5}B*e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}=\frac{B}{\rho}*e^{\frac{-1.5}{\rho}}[/itex] which leads to:

[itex]\rho=\frac{1.5}{60}=.025[/itex]

It does not seem valid to just sub in r=1.5. This was a shot in the dark as I am out of ideas.

I spoke to my instructor about this and how I did not see a way to solve for [itex]\rho[/itex] because it looks as though there are 2 equations and 3 unknowns. His response was that this is a simple problem and that I do not need to know the constants A and B. I must be over thinking this. Does anyone see what I am missing?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I didn't check the numbers, but the approach is right.
    The condition E=0.9 EAttr is satisfied at r0 only.

You have three unknowns for two equations, but it is neither possible nor necessary to find A and B separately. You can find the ratio A/B, as both equations depend on this and ρ only.

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3
    Wow. Thank you. I did not realize that E=.9 EAttr is valid at r0 only. I guess it does make sense though since at equilibrium it is possible to determine what fraction of the total energy is attractive and repulsive. Thanks again!!

5. Sep 3, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you say that answer is clearly not correct? The method is sound, and I can see no numerical errors.

6. Sep 3, 2015 #5
    I did not think that I could just assume r=1.5. I thought it had to be valid for all r until mfb indicated otherwise.

7. Sep 3, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The equation in question is valid for all r. In particular, it is valid at r=1.5 A.

8. Sep 3, 2015 #7
    Thank you very much for your help!

9. Sep 3, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The equation that says the total energy is 90% of the attractive potential energy? No, that is not correct everywhere.

10. Sep 3, 2015 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm fairly sure MadMatSci was referring to the general equation quoted first off: ##E=−\frac A{r^6}+B∗e^{−rρ}##. The value of 1.5 for r had already been substituted in the 90% equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted