Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 fans cited in Kokomo hum

1. Sep 22, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/076174-1153-009.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2003 #2

Tsu

Gold Member

Interesting. Is that frequency too low as to not affect mastoid air cells causing dizziness, imbalance etc.? The reason I ask this is these sx's were not included - but nausea was. These often go hand-in-hand.

4. Sep 24, 2003 #3
    I found this story to be a disappointment. I thought it was going to be about two Beach Boys fans who were given tickets for disturbing the peace by humming "Kokomo".

5. Sep 25, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Zooby, I don't think you have the right stuff for investigating unusual phenomena. This option was way down on my list.

And we still have the Taos hum to figure out.
    http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/hum/hum.html

There are some similar claims elsewhere.
    In the end, we may still find your hummer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  6. Sep 25, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was some of the best information that I could find.

p 7 of 70

p 57/58 of 70

http://www.princeton.edu/~globsec/publications/pdf/9_3altmann.pdf

7. Sep 28, 2003 #6
    I'm not completely sure from your response you got the joke. The above must be read in conjunction with the thread title: Two fans cited in Kokomo hum.

8. Sep 28, 2003 #7
    I have actually thought about this quite a bit since I first heard of it and it is one of the few strange phenomena that somehow fails to pique my interest. I get to a certain point in my speculation and then am overcome with boredom. I guess it lacks the shock value of cattle mutilations or alien abduction to spur me on.

9. Sep 29, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This option was way down on my list
    way, way, way, way, way, way, way down.

In the end, we may still find your hummer.

I don't know about you, but in my world a hummer could be many things. :wink:

10. Sep 29, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just another check mark on my "potential mysteries to be solved" list.

11. Sep 29, 2003 #10
    It is clear from your response that I did not get your joke. What do you mean by "this option"? I did not present an option.

I am not aware I was looking for a hummer.

One who hums, the"HUMVEE"(military vehicle) or the sexual "hummer". These are all the hummer's I can think of. Are there others?

12. Sep 29, 2003 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That two Beach Boys fans who were given tickets for disturbing the peace by humming "Kokomo" were the explanation.

Well, it seemed funny at the time.

13. Sep 29, 2003 #12
    You did miss the joke! I was not presenting that as an option. The humor lay in pretending to jump to the conclusion the thread title "Two fans cited in Kokomo hum" was going to be a story about Two fans
    (that is: persons who are especially fond of, as opposed to machines for moving air) of the Beach Boys who were cited (that is given tickets for committing a misdemeanor, not: "specified") in Kokomo hum ( for humming the Beach Boys 1980s hit "Cocomo" in some way that disturbed the peace so that giving them a ticket seem warranted.) I was not, you see, offering the expanation that the Kokomo hum was being caused by these two fans humming. In my humorous response to the thread title I wasn't addressing the cause of the kokomo hum at all. I was pointing out that the title could have been about a completely different situation and I was pretending disapointment that it wasn't.

Yeah, I know how you feel.

14. Sep 29, 2003 #13
    I'm worried that I'm not more concerned about it, especially since one of the suspected causes is government ELF signals used to communicate with submarines.

15. Sep 29, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hence the need to find your hummer; in this case, a Cocomo hummer who is a Beach Boys fan not located in Kokomo. I suspected that this may actually be the cause of the Taos hum. I hear the BBs are big in Taos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?