Can Arctan Still Determine Satellite Antenna Direction on a Curved Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems, where the first problem involves finding the altitude of a satellite in geosynchronous orbit and the second problem involves finding the direction to point an antenna in order to pick up signals from the satellite. The solution for the first problem involves using Kepler's Law of Period and the second problem involves using laws of cosine and sine to find the central angle and chord length. The conversation also mentions a satellite antenna bearing calculator that can be used to solve the second problem.
ttback
There is a set of two problems, I can solve problem 1, can't solve problem 2. But in order for you to help me solving problem 2, I think you need to use the answer for problem 1.

Homework Statement

P1. A satellite hovers over a certain spot on the equator of (rotating) Earth.
What is the altitude of its orbit(called a geosynchronous orbit)

Homework Equations

We use Kepler's Law of Period to get r, which is the distance between the satellite and the center of Earth.
T^2 = (4*pi^2 / G * Me) r^3

T = Time of one day = 24 h = 86400 s
Me = 5.98 x 10^24 kg
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 (some crazy unit)
r = That is the unknown we want

The Attempt at a Solution

Altitude = r - Re
r = 4.225 x 10^7
Re = 6.37 x 10^6 m

Altitude = r - Re = 3.58 x 10^7 m

================================================================
P2. Assume that the satellite of P1 is in orbit at the longitude of Chicago. You are in Chicago (latitude 47.5 degree) and want to pick up the signals the satellite broadcasts. In what direction should you point antenna?

The situation in the problem, as I interpret, is that the satellite is now on the same longitude as Chicago, same latitude as equator, and still hovering over one fixed point on the equator.

If so, the antenna must turn to the south and makes a angle with the ground to point at the satellite.

Now I know the satellite's altitude from P1, I can also find out the distance between Chicago and the Equator,(from the latitude) then I can calculate the angle using Arctan(Altitude/Distance).

But my question is, isn't Earth round? So the distance between Chicago and that Equator was measured by a curved path? Then we wouldn't really have a triangle, right?

Can we still use Arctan() to solve this problem? Or maybe I am just overthinking because the curve can be ignored?

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, i think I know how to do it.

Law of Cosine to find the central angle to the arc between Chicago and Equator.

Law of Sine to solve for the chord length between them

Then we can get the answer.

ttback said:
There is a set of two problems, I can solve problem 1, can't solve problem 2. But in order for you to help me solving problem 2, I think you need to use the answer for problem 1.

Homework Statement

P1. A satellite hovers over a certain spot on the equator of (rotating) Earth.
What is the altitude of its orbit(called a geosynchronous orbit)

Homework Equations

We use Kepler's Law of Period to get r, which is the distance between the satellite and the center of Earth.
T^2 = (4*pi^2 / G * Me) r^3

T = Time of one day = 24 h = 86400 s
Me = 5.98 x 10^24 kg
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 (some crazy unit)
r = That is the unknown we want

The Attempt at a Solution

Altitude = r - Re
r = 4.225 x 10^7
Re = 6.37 x 10^6 m

Altitude = r - Re = 3.58 x 10^7 m

================================================================
P2. Assume that the satellite of P1 is in orbit at the longitude of Chicago. You are in Chicago (latitude 47.5 degree) and want to pick up the signals the satellite broadcasts. In what direction should you point antenna?

The situation in the problem, as I interpret, is that the satellite is now on the same longitude as Chicago, same latitude as equator, and still hovering over one fixed point on the equator.

If so, the antenna must turn to the south and makes a angle with the ground to point at the satellite.

Now I know the satellite's altitude from P1, I can also find out the distance between Chicago and the Equator,(from the latitude) then I can calculate the angle using Arctan(Altitude/Distance).

But my question is, isn't Earth round? So the distance between Chicago and that Equator was measured by a curved path? Then we wouldn't really have a triangle, right?

Can we still use Arctan() to solve this problem? Or maybe I am just overthinking because the curve can be ignored?

radius of the Earth is touching both equator and Chicago, and using latitudes and longitudes thing you can find the angle between the line connecting equator and Chicago, from the center.

yea, me had the same thing.

The angle, is the angle the antenna makes with the tangent line to Earth's surface.

It is annoying to explain the geometry, so I just drew it on the file diagram.jpg.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9841&stc=1&d=1177118346.jpg

Now I know the satellite's altitude from P1, it is H.

We want the arc radian between chicago and equator,

Using the formula here: http://www.krysstal.com/sphertrig.html

The Cosine rule gives us the central angle.

Note: There can be other ways to get the central angle, because this is a geometry problem, full of hidden paths, but what the heck, I need to finish this before I lose interest.

Now, we have an Isoscele, we know Earth radius, central angle, and the two end angles. So we can find the chord length by law of sine.

Using Arc(H/chord), we got a2.

Now we have to find a1.

Using geometry, a1= 90-[(180-Central Angle)/2)]

The answer = a2-a1

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 601

1. What is gravitation and how does it work?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are attracted to one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space. Gravitation works by the principle of mass attracting mass, meaning the larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

2. What are the two main types of gravitation problems?

The two main types of gravitation problems are the force of gravity and the gravitational potential energy. The force of gravity is the attraction between two objects with mass, while gravitational potential energy is the amount of energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field.

3. How are gravitation problems solved mathematically?

Gravitation problems are solved using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be represented by the equation F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the strength of gravity?

The strength of gravity between two objects is affected by two main factors: the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity. Conversely, the greater the distance between the objects, the weaker the force of gravity.

5. How is gravitation related to the motion of objects?

Gravitation is related to the motion of objects through the concept of acceleration due to gravity. The force of gravity causes objects to accelerate towards each other, which is why objects fall towards the ground when dropped. This acceleration is also responsible for the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in orbit around larger objects, such as the Earth orbiting the sun.