1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 gravitation questions:

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    1. How can i prove that Eg = mgh

2. What is the total energy needed to place a 2.0x10^3-kg satellite into circular Earth orbit at an altitude of 5.0x10^2 km?

For number 2, the answer is apparently 6.7x10^10J. However, shouldn't Total Energy = 1/2 (Eg)? If that is the case, the answer would be 5.8x10^10J.

(P.S. in the question after this, i must calculate the additional energy required to allow the object to escape Earth's orbit, and the answer is 5.8x10^10J).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Remember that the work done by a conservative force such as gravity is defined as the negative of the change in the potential energy. You can easily prove it from the definition of work as force X distance, in the simplest scenario in which you consider a constant gravitational force applied to an object that happens to be moving vertically upward in a straight line.

4. Oct 31, 2004 #3
    For the energy to put the satellite in orbit, how are calculating it? I get 9.36 X 10^9 J. (I might have made a mistake...) Also, what is "Eg"? I'm not familiar with that term.

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't forget that most of the energy required to put a satellite into orbit goes into kinetic energy! Merely lifting it 500 km won't get you very far.

6. Nov 1, 2004 #5
    1. Eg is gravitational potential energy

2. I learned the following equations:

Etotal = -(GMm)/r

7. Nov 1, 2004 #6
    1. Eg is gravitational potential energy

2. I learned the following equations:

Etotal = -0.5(GMm)/r
    Ek = -Eg

Ek is kinetic energy, G is the grav. constant, m is the mass of the satellite, is the mass of the earth and r is the distance of the satellite from the centre of the Earth.

8. Nov 1, 2004 #7
    OK, I got 6.77 X 10^10 J by adding the KE ((G*m1*m2)/(2*d)) to the PE. I got the PE (9.36 X 10^9 J) by integrating the force of gravity (G*m1*m2/d^2) with respect to the distance from the Earth's surface to the height of the orbit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook