1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 hard problems :S

1. Jul 22, 2004 #1
    Hi guys.. i was studying calculus and i found some problems in solving these two questions.. would you please help me to figure out the answers?

1) At noon ship A is 150 km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing East at 35 km/h and ship B is sailing North at 25 km/h. How fast is the dstance between the ships changing at 4 pm?

2) a spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 meters away. if a man 2 meters tall walks for the spotlight toward the building at a speed of 1.6 meter per second, how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he is 4 meters from the building?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) Think of ship A travelling right on the x-axis, starting at the point (-150,0). Think of ship B travelling up on the y-axis, initially at (0,0). Let A represent ship A's distance from the origin, and B represent B's distance from the origin. The distance between the two ships is:

[tex]\sqrt{A^2 + B^2}[/tex]

If you think about it, place ship A at any point on the x-axis and B at any point on the y-axis, and you'll see the distance between the ships is the hypoteneuse of a triangle, whose arms are the segment from the origin to ship A, and the segment from the origin to ship B. and given the lengths of two arms of a right triangle, you know how to find the length of the hypoteneuse by Pythagorean Theorem, which is how I got the equation above. Now, how do we express A and B in terms of time? Let t represent time, in hours.

A = -150 + 35t
    B = 0 + 25t

You should be able to see clearly why the equations above are right. If not, maybe try plotting the position of each ship after a bit of time goes on, and notice how the distances to the origin are properly described by those equations. Now, going back to the distance, let's call it D:

[tex]D = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2}[/tex]

[tex]D = \sqrt{(35t - 150)^2 + (25t)^2}[/tex]

[tex]D = \sqrt{1850t^2 - 10500t + 22500}[/tex]

Now, to find the rate of change of distance with respect to time, differentiate D with respect to t:

[tex]dD/dt = \frac{3700t - 10500}{2\sqrt{1850t^2 - 10500t + 22500}}[/tex]

To find the rate of change of distance at 4 p.m., that is 4 hours later, plug in t=4, and you'll have your answer.

4. Jul 22, 2004 #3
    well its been awhile sense ive done these but...draw the orginal situation and u find ship A's equation of motion is x(t) = 35t - 150 and B's is y(t) = 25t

the distance between two points in a flat plane is [tex]d = sqrt{(x - x_o)^2 -(y - y_0)^2}[/tex], but u see A's motion is only on the x axis... so x_0 = 0 and... also for B y_0 = 0 so sub the eq's for x and y u get...

[tex] d = sqrt{(35t - 150)^2 + (25t)^2}[/tex]

dd/dt = change of distance/change of time

dd/dt = 1250t + 70(35t-150)/(2 sqrt(625t^2 + (35t - 150)^2)) and t = 4 so the answer...4,996.517 km/h

i have no idea if this is right lol but check it out lol

5. Jul 22, 2004 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got an answer of something like 21.4 km/h. Did you really get something like 5000 km/h? How could they possibly be moving away from each other at that rate? Even if they were headed in opposite directions they could only be separating at a rate of 25+35=60 km/h, right?

6. Jul 22, 2004 #5
    AKG, I think your answer sounds correct.

7. Jul 22, 2004 #6
    thanks a lot for helping us figuring out the way of solving the first problem.. what about the second one?

8. Jul 22, 2004 #7
    2) a spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 meters away. if a man 2 meters tall walks from the spotlight toward the building at a speed of 1.6 meter per second, how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he is 4 meters from the building?

9. Jul 22, 2004 #8
    i got 1.01 m/s is that correct ..
    I did it by using x^2+y^2= z^2
    x=8 y= 2
    i found the hyp as equal to 8.24 m b
    soo i used it to get the time which is 7.5 s T=d/s T=12/1.6
    then i used the time with the hyp to get the speed . which is s=d/t
    8.24/7.5 = s
    im wondering is that correct ??

10. Oct 22, 2007 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?