2 inch mosquito

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We get caterpillar-looking insects (are caterpillars insects?) in the living room; they are about the length of a pinkie and harmless. I suspect that the cat occasionally uses them for hunting practice but never caught her doing it.

The scariest insect I ever encountered was a shiny black mofo about the size of a golf ball and as hard. It had gotten into the kitchen during the night. Somewhow it got into the cabinet under the sink and we shut it in. It started charging the cabinet door from inside. It would propel itself and hit the wood with a sound that you'd expect a golf ball to make. We closed the kitchen door shut and stuffed old newspapers under it so it couldn't come out. Apparently it got out of the cabinet by chewing its way through wood and then started eating the newspapers under the door. It was charging us! We kept stuffing more paper as it kept shredding them on the other side of the door, for hours. Then dawn broke and there was light outside. It left the kitchen to go back to wherever it came from. Only then everybody could go to sleep.

P.S. I should have said millipede, not caterpillar. I think they are millipedes.

Last edited:
Lisa!
Gold Member
Perhaps Monique's had Kim chee for dinner and this mosquito came to her home because of this yummy dinner. :tongue2:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tsu said:
So is THIS a Dobsonfly?

I was told they were Caddis flies, but they look more like yours, MB. These are all over the place here in Oregon. Well, at least they're all over OUR place. They're interesting, pretty and harmless. I like them. :approve: I like the look of their 'train track' antennae.
I don't think that's a Dobsonfly. The Dobsonfly didn't seem to have antennae like that, and yours doesn't have evil looking pincers.

I looked up Caddis flies, and it looks like some on this page:
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/northern_caddis_fly.htm [Broken]

There's something else on the Dobsonfly page I linked to that is called a Fishfly that has feathery antennae and the wings look more like the wings on the picture you posted. The comment says that it's closely related to the Dobsonfly. But those aren't train track looking antennae on the Fishfly either. So, maybe a Caddis fly is also something related to a Dobsonfly. I'm certainly no entomologist. I've just seen one Dobsonfly in my whole life and was wondering what sort of alien life form had just landed on my window screen when I saw it! So now I'm just happy to have finally stumbled across something that identifies it (the pincers were the most notable feature along with its monstrous size).

Oh, the site I was on earlier has Caddis flies too. The first picture on their site looks a whole lot like your bug. http://www.whatsthatbug.com/caddisflies.html [Broken] They don't have a close-up that shows the antennae as well as your photo does, but the wings sure seem to match. It doesn't look like they are related to the Dobsonflies afterall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
gerben said:
I was surprised that you did not know these Monique, since they are so very common certainly in the Netherlands.
Actually the first thing I thought it would we was a 'glazenwasser', a windowwasher (as that is the only name I know for those longlegged flying insects, that like glass surfaces), which are quite common. But this one was differrent, huge long body, crawling over the floor. Maybe a pregnant female, perhaps.

DocToxyn
Science Advisor
The Dobsonfly and the Fishfly are in the same family, which does not include the Caddis. The wing placement is quite different, with the caddis it is more upright creating a tent-like wing structure, whereas the Dobsonfly and its relatives have a more flat, stacked wing set-up. Oddly I know about this more from my fly-fishing experience, than from my biology background, any of the insects mentioned in this thread are relished by trout and I've tied/purchased several fly patterns to mimic such creatures.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
btw, after a day of solitary confinement it was finally released into the wild by my courageous bf who picked it up with his hands :rolleyes: initially he was scared to look under the coliander by my reaction :rofl: