Unsolved Integral Questions: Methods and Attempts

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses two integrals and methods for solving them. The first one involves substitutions and the use of Pythagorean Identities, while the second one can be solved using a substitution and partial fractions. However, there is an easier method for the second integral that involves another substitution and simplification using trigonometric identities.
transgalactic
i added a file with the the two integral and the method that i tried to solve them

i could'nt solve them please help

Attachments

• i3.GIF
    i3.GIF
    93.5 KB · Views: 479
  • i5.GIF
    i5.GIF
    47.6 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your substitutions seem to be the way to go for the first one. I hope you know those expressions for sin and cos actually come about from t= tan(x/2)?

Therefore by the chain rule, [itex]dt=\frac{1}{2} \sec^2 (x/2) dx[/itex].
Then we use the Pythatgorean Identities to reduce sec^2 to tan^2 +1.

[tex]dt = \frac{1}{2} (\tan^2 (x/2) +1 ) dx = \frac{1}{2} (t^2 +1) dx[/tex]
Getting dx alone yields [tex]\frac{2 dt}{t^2+1} = dx[/tex] which unfortunately is not what you had. So try it with that correction.

For the second one, in partial fractions the numerator always has to be 1 degree less than the denominator. I sure you knew that because for the first partial fraction you put Ax+b over 1+x^2. The second partial fraction has degree 4, so instead of putting cx+d, try cx^3+dx^2+e^x+f .

For the second one, instead of splitting it into partial fractions try the substitution:
[tex]x = tan(u)[/tex]

There's still a fair bit of work to do after that, but it should get you started.

Actually, for the second one there is a much easier way that I just saw!

x= tan z
dx = sec^2 z dz
[tex]\int \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2} dx = \int \frac{\sec^2 z}{(1+\tan^2 z)^2} dz=\int \frac{\sec^2 z}{\sec^4 z} dz =\int \frac{1}{\sec^2 z}dz = \int \cos^2 z dz[/tex]

Now finish that off with [itex]\cos^2 z = \frac{1}{2} (\cos 2z +1)[/itex]

EDIT: DAMN IT

thank you very much

1. What are unsolved integral questions?

Unsolved integral questions refer to mathematical problems that involve finding the integral of a function but do not have a known solution or method for solving. These questions often require advanced mathematical techniques and have been a subject of study for many mathematicians over the years.

2. How are unsolved integral questions approached?

There are various methods and attempts that have been used to tackle unsolved integral questions. Some mathematicians have used numerical methods, such as approximation and integration by parts, while others have tried to find connections between the integral and other mathematical concepts. However, there is no one definitive approach that guarantees a solution.

3. Can computer algorithms be used to solve unsolved integral questions?

Yes, some mathematicians have used computer algorithms to try and find solutions to unsolved integral questions. These algorithms use a combination of numerical methods and symbolic computation to try and find a solution or at least provide a better understanding of the problem. However, the success of these algorithms is not guaranteed and can vary depending on the complexity of the question.

4. Are there any famous unsolved integral questions?

Yes, there are several well-known unsolved integral questions that have puzzled mathematicians for decades. One such example is the inverse tangent integral, which involves finding the value of the integral of the tangent function. Other notable unsolved integral questions include the Gamma function and the Riemann zeta function.

5. Are there any ongoing efforts to solve unsolved integral questions?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts by mathematicians and researchers to find solutions to unsolved integral questions. Some mathematicians are focusing on developing new mathematical techniques and theories that could potentially lead to solutions, while others are using advanced computational methods to explore these questions further. However, the elusive nature of these questions means that there is no guarantee of a solution in the near future.