Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 2 integral questions

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    i added a file with the the two integral and the method that i tried to solve them

i could'nt solve them plz help

Attached Files:

• i3.GIF
      i3.GIF
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
    • i5.GIF
      i5.GIF
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Your substitutions seem to be the way to go for the first one. I hope you know those expressions for sin and cos actually come about from t= tan(x/2)?

Therefore by the chain rule, [itex]dt=\frac{1}{2} \sec^2 (x/2) dx[/itex].
    Then we use the Pythatgorean Identities to reduce sec^2 to tan^2 +1.

[tex]dt = \frac{1}{2} (\tan^2 (x/2) +1 ) dx = \frac{1}{2} (t^2 +1) dx[/tex]
    Getting dx alone yields [tex]\frac{2 dt}{t^2+1} = dx[/tex] which unfortunately is not what you had. So try it with that correction.

For the second one, in partial fractions the numerator always has to be 1 degree less than the denominator. I sure you knew that because for the first partial fraction you put Ax+b over 1+x^2. The second partial fraction has degree 4, so instead of putting cx+d, try cx^3+dx^2+e^x+f .

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    For the second one, instead of splitting it into partial fractions try the substitution:
    [tex]x = tan(u)[/tex]

There's still a fair bit of work to do after that, but it should get you started.

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Actually, for the second one there is a much easier way that I just saw!

x= tan z
    dx = sec^2 z dz
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2} dx = \int \frac{\sec^2 z}{(1+\tan^2 z)^2} dz=\int \frac{\sec^2 z}{\sec^4 z} dz =\int \frac{1}{\sec^2 z}dz = \int \cos^2 z dz[/tex]

Now finish that off with [itex]\cos^2 z = \frac{1}{2} (\cos 2z +1)[/itex]

EDIT: DAMN IT

6. Apr 21, 2007 #5
    thank you very much

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook