1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 integral questions

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    i added a file with the the two integral and the method that i tried to solve them

i could'nt solve them plz help

Attached Files:

• i3.GIF
      i3.GIF
      File size:
      190.7 KB
      Views:
    • i5.GIF
      i5.GIF
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Your substitutions seem to be the way to go for the first one. I hope you know those expressions for sin and cos actually come about from t= tan(x/2)?

Therefore by the chain rule, [itex]dt=\frac{1}{2} \sec^2 (x/2) dx[/itex].
    Then we use the Pythatgorean Identities to reduce sec^2 to tan^2 +1.

[tex]dt = \frac{1}{2} (\tan^2 (x/2) +1 ) dx = \frac{1}{2} (t^2 +1) dx[/tex]
    Getting dx alone yields [tex]\frac{2 dt}{t^2+1} = dx[/tex] which unfortunately is not what you had. So try it with that correction.

For the second one, in partial fractions the numerator always has to be 1 degree less than the denominator. I sure you knew that because for the first partial fraction you put Ax+b over 1+x^2. The second partial fraction has degree 4, so instead of putting cx+d, try cx^3+dx^2+e^x+f .

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    For the second one, instead of splitting it into partial fractions try the substitution:
    [tex]x = tan(u)[/tex]

There's still a fair bit of work to do after that, but it should get you started.

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Actually, for the second one there is a much easier way that I just saw!

x= tan z
    dx = sec^2 z dz
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2} dx = \int \frac{\sec^2 z}{(1+\tan^2 z)^2} dz=\int \frac{\sec^2 z}{\sec^4 z} dz =\int \frac{1}{\sec^2 z}dz = \int \cos^2 z dz[/tex]

Now finish that off with [itex]\cos^2 z = \frac{1}{2} (\cos 2z +1)[/itex]

EDIT: DAMN IT

6. Apr 21, 2007 #5
    thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?