1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 limit problems

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Lim x→0 Sin(x) * sqrt(1 + 1/x^2) Picture: https://i.gyazo.com/2f61c3c09d32447d4190fbdcd3f2f1e5.png

2. Limx→0 Sin(x)/sqrt(x^2 + x^3) Picture: https://i.gyazo.com/b50081d459ed61bcf1d4ae5baecfa7fa.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did with the first was turn it into: (sin(x)/x) * (x*sqrt(1 + 1/x^2) which results in (sin(x)/x) * (sqrt(x^2 + 1)

The limit of that is 1 * sqrt(0+1) = 1*1 = 1

Is that correct? Doesn't the lim from right and left give different results?

With the second one, I'm not sure what to do after: Sin(x) * (x^2 + x^3)^-1/2

If I multiply and divide by x I'll get 1 * 0/0 which is undefined, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2
    Yes the limit should be negative when approaching from the left. The thing is when you have ##x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = \sqrt{x^2+1}## that's only true for ##x> 0##.
    The second one can be rewritten in two part (if you again take care of the sign). One of them being ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}}## which has a limit as ##x\to 0##.

4. Oct 16, 2015 #3
    Okay, so what do I do to find the limit from the left?

Also, how do you use the sqrt signs? I didn't find it under the symbols.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  5. Oct 16, 2015 #4
    You did it correctly. It's just that you have to remember that for
    ##x> 0## we have ##x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = \sqrt{x^2+1}## and for
    ##x < 0## we have ##x \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = -\sqrt{x^2+1}##.
    You could also write this as ##x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = \text{sign} (x) \sqrt{x^2+1}## which always is true.
    Because the square-root of a number is always positive, that's the definition.
    For example when you solve ##x^2=1## you write ##x=\pm \sqrt{1}## since the ##\sqrt{1}## only refers to the positive root. (Sorry If this wasn't what you were confused about, just guessed it may be.)

Do you mean how I write them I text? I use the latex envirement.You can read more about it here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/introducing-latex-math-typesetting.8997/ . For the sqrt you use that by typing \sqrt{x} inside two # at the start an two # at the end (sorry don't know how to post the code for it, check out the thread i linked!).

6. Oct 16, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can find the limit from the left by writing a correct form that applies when ##x < 0##, then take the limit. The form (in (1)) that you wrote (with ##\sqrt{x^2+1}##) applies when ##x > 0##. Make a change for ##x < 0## and you are almost done. Alternatively, if ##x < 0## you can write ##x = -t##, where ##t > 0##, then take the limit from the right as ##t \to 0##.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. Oct 16, 2015 #6
    Okay, thank you both for your help.

I've always dealt with getting x out of the square root, this is the first time I run into a problem where I have to bring it inside instead, hence the confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted