How to Solve Limit Problems Involving Trigonometric Functions and Square Roots?

• Thread starter NooDota
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the first equation states that sin(x)/x * (x*sqrt(1+1/x^2)) = sin(x)/x * sqrt(x^2+1) and the second equation states that Sin(x)/x * (x^2+x^3)^-1/2 is undefined.
NooDota

Homework Statement

1. Lim x→0 Sin(x) * sqrt(1 + 1/x^2) Picture: https://i.gyazo.com/2f61c3c09d32447d4190fbdcd3f2f1e5.png

2. Limx→0 Sin(x)/sqrt(x^2 + x^3) Picture: https://i.gyazo.com/b50081d459ed61bcf1d4ae5baecfa7fa.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did with the first was turn it into: (sin(x)/x) * (x*sqrt(1 + 1/x^2) which results in (sin(x)/x) * (sqrt(x^2 + 1)

The limit of that is 1 * sqrt(0+1) = 1*1 = 1

Is that correct? Doesn't the lim from right and left give different results?
With the second one, I'm not sure what to do after: Sin(x) * (x^2 + x^3)^-1/2

If I multiply and divide by x I'll get 1 * 0/0 which is undefined, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the limit should be negative when approaching from the left. The thing is when you have ##x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = \sqrt{x^2+1}## that's only true for ##x> 0##.
The second one can be rewritten in two part (if you again take care of the sign). One of them being ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x}}## which has a limit as ##x\to 0##.

Likes NooDota
Okay, so what do I do to find the limit from the left?

Also, how do you use the sqrt signs? I didn't find it under the symbols.

Thanks.

Last edited:
NooDota said:

Also, how do you use the sqrt signs? I didn't it under the symbols.

Thanks.
You did it correctly. It's just that you have to remember that for
##x> 0## we have ##x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = \sqrt{x^2+1}## and for
##x < 0## we have ##x \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = -\sqrt{x^2+1}##.
You could also write this as ##x\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{x^2}} = \text{sign} (x) \sqrt{x^2+1}## which always is true.
Because the square-root of a number is always positive, that's the definition.
For example when you solve ##x^2=1## you write ##x=\pm \sqrt{1}## since the ##\sqrt{1}## only refers to the positive root. (Sorry If this wasn't what you were confused about, just guessed it may be.)

Do you mean how I write them I text? I use the latex envirement.You can read more about it here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/introducing-latex-math-typesetting.8997/ . For the sqrt you use that by typing \sqrt{x} inside two # at the start an two # at the end (sorry don't know how to post the code for it, check out the thread i linked!).

Likes NooDota
NooDota said:

Also, how do you use the sqrt signs? I didn't it under the symbols.

Thanks.

You can find the limit from the left by writing a correct form that applies when ##x < 0##, then take the limit. The form (in (1)) that you wrote (with ##\sqrt{x^2+1}##) applies when ##x > 0##. Make a change for ##x < 0## and you are almost done. Alternatively, if ##x < 0## you can write ##x = -t##, where ##t > 0##, then take the limit from the right as ##t \to 0##.

Last edited:
Likes NooDota
Okay, thank you both for your help.

I've always dealt with getting x out of the square root, this is the first time I run into a problem where I have to bring it inside instead, hence the confusion.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that a function "gets closer and closer" to as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you must first evaluate the function at the given limit value. If the resulting value is undefined, you may need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring or rationalizing to simplify the expression. If the resulting value is still undefined, you can use advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's Rule or Taylor series to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function approaching the limit value from one side (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function approaching the limit value from both the left and the right.

4. Why is it important to understand limits?

Limits are fundamental concepts in calculus and are used to define derivatives and integrals. They also help us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. In addition, limits are used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How does the value of a limit at a specific point relate to the continuity of a function?

If the limit at a specific point exists and is equal to the function's value at that point, then the function is said to be continuous at that point. In other words, a function is continuous at a point if its value at that point is equal to its limit at that point. This means that the function has no breaks or jumps at that point and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.