1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 2 limit questions

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What will be the limit of
    a) [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{2+3^{n+1}}{(n+1)(2+3^{n})}[/tex]
    b) [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} (x+1)ln(x+1) - x ln(x) - 1[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is actually coming from infinite series question,
    which I goes into the limit step and stuck.
    [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{2+3^{n+1}}{(n+1)(2+3^{n})}[/tex] look like equal to 0,
    [tex]ln\left[\frac{(x+1)^{x+1}}{x^{x}}\right][/tex] look like equal to [tex]\infty[/tex],
    but I don't know how to work on them,
    which pretty much stuck on this stage.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first one, try dividing the numerator and denominator by [tex]3^n[/tex], and see if you can get an idea for what the numerator and denominator look like when n is large

4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\frac{2}{3^{n}}+3}{\frac{2n+2}{3^{n}}+n+1} = \frac{3}{\infty+1} = 0
    [/tex]
    I believe I'm getting tired,
    missed a whole point here.
    Thanks a lot for help.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4
    How about b)?

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5
    Question edited. Just try to make the question b) clearer.
    Thanks!

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6
    You can rewrite b) to make taking the limit easier:

[tex]\frac{(x+1)^{x+1}}{x^{x}} = \frac{(x + 1)^x(x+1)}{x^x} = \left(\frac{x+1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1) = \left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1)[/tex]

Then taking the limit of the expression:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln\left[\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x(x + 1)\right] - 1 = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x + \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln(x + 1) - 1 = \ln\left(\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^x\right) - 1 + \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\ln(x + 1)[/tex]

8. Sep 2, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't even have to work that hard. Since x->infinity you can take x>1. So (x+1)/x>=1 and (x+1)^x/x^x>=1. The leftover (x+1) goes to infinity. It's basically a comparison test.

9. Sep 3, 2010 #8
    You're very right, I know it's more than one might do for this problem. But since there was a -1 in the expression, and I saw it as ln(limx→∞(1 + 1/x)x), that limit gets rid of the -1 and leaves you with just a nice limx→∞ ln(x + 1).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook