1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Loop RC Circuit 2

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    1. Situation and Variables:
    A circuit is constructed with four resistors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch as shown. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R2 = 30 Ω, R3 = 66 Ω and R4 = 113 Ω. The capacitance is C = 64 μF and the battery voltage is V = 12 V. The positive terminal of the battery is indicated with a + sign.

phpAv88Ty.png

2. Sub-question:
    After the switch has been closed for a very long time, it is then opened. What is Q(topen), the charge on the capacitor at a time topen = 786 μs after the switch was opened?

3. Relevant Equations:
    Kirchhoff's Loop Rule: [tex] \Sigma V_l = 0[/tex]

Kirchhoff's Node Rule: [tex] I_i = I_o [/tex]

[tex] V_C = \frac {q} {C}[/tex]

For a discharging circuit:
    [tex] q(t) = q_o e^\frac {-t} {\tau}[/tex]

4. Attempt:
    When the switch is closed initially and time goes to infinity, the capacitor charges up and reaches it's capacitance, which I found the max charge, qo to be about 243μC.
    Then for a discharging circuit, we have the equation I gave above q(t). I believe my issue is finding tau, which is RC. I have been using [tex] R = R_1+R_2 [/tex] but that hasn't been correct. I've tried different combinations of resistors but I'm not quite getting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Show your working for the capacitor charging voltage.

How to determine the capacitor's discharging path when the switch is an open circuit?

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    Q(∞)?
    IC = 0 ∴ I1 = I2
    Knowing this:
    Loop for right hand side (I):
    [tex]\frac {q} {C} = I_2R_3[/tex]

Loop for left hand side (II):
    [tex]V_b = I_2(R_1+R_3+R_4)[/tex]
    Therefore,
    [tex]I_2 = \frac {V_b} {R_1+R_3+R_4}[/tex]

plugging this into (I):
    [tex]\frac {q} {C} = \frac {V_bR_3} {R_1+R_3+R_4}[/tex]

then solve for q, which is just multiplying both sides by C.
    The exactly answer they have for Q is 242.526315789474μC, which is what I got, and I have this number stored so I used it for my text calculation of find Q(786μs) from the equation [tex]q(t) = q_oe^\frac{-t} {\tau}[/tex]

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4
    Also I figured the current go across the switch, so I assumed it would only traverse the right hand side, which is why I use [tex]R=R_2+R_3[/tex] the equation I originally posted is not what I had written, it was a typo on my part.

6. Feb 21, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

That's the discharge path. So you need to be able to write by inspection the exponential time equation for the capacitor voltage as it discharges. I see you almost have.

Are you able to calculate τ and finish this now?

7. Feb 21, 2016 #6
    Right. So I have this equation:
    [tex]q(t) = q_oe^\frac {-t} {R_2+R_3}[/tex]
    but because R2+R3 is so large in comparison to t=786μs, the e part is approximately 1, and so my calculator outputs nearly the same answer as I had before, which the website counts as incorrect

8. Feb 21, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

The time constant is the product of R and C. It needs to have units of seconds, or it wouldn't be a time.

9. Feb 21, 2016 #8
    Wow, that was a really dumb mistake on my part. Thanks for helping me though, I probably would have never realized that.

10. Feb 21, 2016 #9

NascentOxygen

I thought you had it right in your first post .....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted