1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Loop RC circuit

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circuit is constructed with four resistors, one capacitor, one battery and a switch as shown. The values for the resistors are: R1 = R2 = 37 Ω, R3 = 90 Ω and R4 = 105 Ω. The capacitance is C = 49 μF and the battery voltage is V = 12 V. The positive terminal of the battery is indicated with a + sign.

What is Q(∞), the charge on the capacitor after the switch has been closed for a very long time?
    2. Relevant equations
    V = Q/C

V= IR

3. The attempt at a solution

V = (R1 +R4)I + R3I3

R3I3 + Q/C = R2IC

I3 + IC = I

I have 4 unknowns and 3 equations. :( I think I might be missing something fundamentally about capacitors though.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

After a "long time", the capacitor will have attained its final charge and potential difference; the current Ic will be zero. In effect, the capacitor will no longer affect circuit operation and you can determine its final voltage by determining the voltage presented across its connection points by the resistor network around it, as though the capacitor itself was an open circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook