Calculating Velocity of m1 After Falling a Distance of d Meters over a Pulley

• Thread starter postfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the magnitude of the velocity of a falling mass after a certain distance, with given conditions of a massless and frictionless pulley and a non-slip rope. By drawing Free Body Diagrams and using Newton's 2nd law, the tension and acceleration can be solved for. The final result is v=sqrt(2*g*(m_1-m_2)/(m_1+m_2)*d) and can also be solved using energy methods.
postfan

Homework Statement

Two masses, m1 and m2, are hung over a pulley as shown. Assume that m1 is heavier, that the pulley is massless and frictionless, and that the rope does not slip. The blocks are held motionless and then released. Determine the magnitude of the velocity of m1 after it has fallen a distance of d meters. You may enter "m_1" for m1 and "m_2" for m2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the acceleration of the 2 objects, (m_1+m_2)*g, but got stuck after that.

Attachments

• 2 Blocks and a Pulley.png
    2 Blocks and a Pulley.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 987
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to show your work. Your acceleration doesn't look right.

Well the total mass of the 2 objects is (m_1+m_2) and then you multiply it by g.

postfan said:
Well the total mass of the 2 objects is (m_1+m_2) and then you multiply it by g.

No, that's not correct (even the units do not yield acceleration... g is an acceleration, and multiplying it by mass gives you force).

Start by drawing the Free Body Diagrams (FBDs) for each mass. There's a force in common provided via the rope.

Is the common force tension?

postfan said:
Is the common force tension?
That's correct.

So now what do I do?

postfan said:
So now what do I do?
You follow gneill's advice. Draw Free Body Diagrams for each mass. What forces act on each?

On the block with mass m1 there is a gravitation force of m1*g and a tension force of m2*g, on the block with mass m2 there is a gravitation force of m2*g and there is a tension force of m1*g. Is that right?

postfan said:
On the block with mass m1 there is a gravitation force of m1*g and a tension force of m2*g, on the block with mass m2 there is a gravitation force of m2*g and there is a tension force of m1*g. Is that right?
No. You have the gravitational forces correct, but the tension is something you'll have to solve for. It's an unknown, so label it "T". (And since the tension is the same throughout the rope, you cannot have it exerting different forces on each mass.)

How do you solve for tension?

postfan said:
How do you solve for tension?
Once you have your FBDs, you'll apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass. That will give you two equations. You'll solve those equations to find the tension, which will be one of the two unknowns.

That's if you want to know the tension. Since the question doesn't ask for it, you can just solve for the acceleration, which is the second unknown.

I got g for the acceleration. Assuming it's right, what do I do next?

postfan said:
I got g for the acceleration. Assuming it's right, what do I do next?
How did you get g for the acceleration? It's not correct. g would be the acceleration of something in free fall, not something attached to ropes and pulleys.

You haven't completed step 1: Draw FBDs for each mass.

Yes I did. There are 2 forces acting on each object, gravity and tension.

Using Newtons 2nd I got 2 equations : m1*g-T=m1*a and m2*g-T=m2*a, solving for a gives a=g.

If I did something wrong please tell me what.

postfan said:
Yes I did. There are 2 forces acting on each object, gravity and tension.

Using Newtons 2nd I got 2 equations : m1*g-T=m1*a and m2*g-T=m2*a, solving for a gives a=g.

If I did something wrong please tell me what.
Ah, you made a sign error in your equation for m2. If m1 accelerates down, then m2 must accelerate up.

(The only way that a = g would be if T = 0. In other words, if the rope were cut and the masses were in free fall.)

Ok ,fixing the sign I got (m1-m2)*g/(m1+m2). Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok ,fixing the sign I got (m1-m2)*g/(m1+m2). Is that right?
Good!

Ok , for the next step I used the formula v^2=2*a*x and got v=sqrt(2*g*(m_1-m_2)/(m_1+m_2)*d). Is that right?

postfan said:
Ok , for the next step I used the formula v^2=2*a*x and got v=sqrt(2*g*(m_1-m_2)/(m_1+m_2)*d). Is that right?
Looks good.

Just for fun, try solving it again using energy methods.

1. How does a pulley system work with 2 masses?

A pulley system with 2 masses is a simple machine that consists of two masses connected by a rope or cable that runs over a pulley. The pulley changes the direction of the force applied to the masses, allowing for the transfer of motion between the two masses.

2. What is the purpose of using 2 masses in a pulley system?

The use of 2 masses in a pulley system allows for the multiplication of force. This means that a smaller force applied to one mass can result in a larger force on the other mass, making it easier to lift heavier objects.

3. How does the mass of the pulley affect the system?

The mass of the pulley has a minimal effect on the system as long as it is significantly smaller than the masses being lifted. However, a heavier pulley may cause more friction and require more force to overcome, resulting in a less efficient system.

4. Can the direction of motion be changed in a 2 mass pulley system?

Yes, the direction of motion can be changed in a 2 mass pulley system. This is the main function of a pulley - to change the direction of the force applied to an object. By changing the position of the pulley, the direction of motion can also be changed.

5. What are the main factors that affect the efficiency of a 2 mass pulley system?

The main factors that affect the efficiency of a 2 mass pulley system are the mass of the pulley, the amount of friction in the system, and the angle at which the rope is pulled. A heavier pulley and increased friction can decrease the efficiency, while a more optimal angle can increase it.