What is the boiling point of 2-methylbutan-2-ol?

• Thread starter hewinsd
  • Start date
In summary, the boiling point of 2-methylbutan-2-ol (tert-amyl alcohol) is approximately 102 degrees Celsius. Its chemical formula is C5H12O and it is commonly used as a solvent in various industries and as a flavoring agent in food and beverages. It is considered to be moderately toxic and can be produced through the hydration of isobutylene or through fermentation of certain sugars.
hewinsd
hey
I have been doing some ID work and my NMR/IR results have shown I am working with 2-methylbutan-2-ol would anyone know where I could find the bp or does anyone know it?

thanks
Dan

Chemistry news on Phys.org
the msds says it has a bp of 102:

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/AM/t-amyl_alcohol.html

yeah I have been getting a few varied ones but i think the 102 is most accurate

thanks

1. What is the boiling point of 2-methylbutan-2-ol?

The boiling point of 2-methylbutan-2-ol (also known as tert-amyl alcohol) is approximately 102 degrees Celsius.

2. What is the chemical formula for 2-methylbutan-2-ol?

The chemical formula for 2-methylbutan-2-ol is C5H12O.

3. What are the uses of 2-methylbutan-2-ol?

2-methylbutan-2-ol is commonly used as a solvent in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, paints, and coatings. It is also used as a flavoring agent in food and beverages.

4. Is 2-methylbutan-2-ol toxic?

2-methylbutan-2-ol is considered to be moderately toxic. Ingestion or inhalation of high concentrations can cause irritation to the respiratory system and central nervous system. It is important to handle this chemical with caution and follow proper safety protocols.

5. How is 2-methylbutan-2-ol produced?

2-methylbutan-2-ol is typically produced through the hydration of isobutylene, a byproduct of petroleum refining. It can also be obtained through fermentation of certain sugars by bacteria.