1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Mirror Image ?'s

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    Why can concave mirrors produce a real or virtual image, but convex mirrors can produce only one virtual image??

As well, when an object is moved along the principal axis towards the vertex of a concave mirror, the image changes. Where exaclty does this change occur and why? I know it has something to do with the paths of light rays and I think that it has something to do with how they are reflected, but if someone could clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    The Focal Length Of A Concave Mirror Is F = R/2

And You Can Use The Mirror Equation Is 1/p + 1/q = 1/f

Where Q = Image Distance And P = Object Distance

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3
    do you know of a website that can explain this equation better?

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4
    Why can concave mirrors produce a real or virtual image, but convex mirrors can produce only one virtual image??

Is this because that in convex mirrors parallel light rays come togeather crpssing at a dingle focal point whereas concave mirrors cause parallel light rays to spread appart so that they appear to emmerge from the virtual focal point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?