2 more problems with sound.

• Thread starter jrd007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the length, frequency, and wavelength of a guitar string and the placement of a finger on the string to produce different notes. It also explores the concept of overtones in an organ pipe. The equations v/2L and v/4L are used to determine the frequency and wavelength of sound in air at 20 degrees Celsius. To achieve a higher pitch, the length of the string must be shortened.
jrd007
1) An unfingered guitar string is 0.73 m long and is tuned to play E above middle C (330 Hz). (a) How from from the end of the string must a fret (and your finger) be placed to play A above middle C (440 Hz)? (b) What is the wavelength on the string of this 440-Hz wave? (c) What are the frequency and wavelength of sound in air at 20 degree's C by this fingered string? Answers: a) 0.18 m, b) 1.1 m c) 440 Hz and 0.78 m

I am really stuck. All I can figure is that you incorporate L = v/2f... and f = v/wavelength... help me, please.

2) How many overtones are present within the audible range for a 2.14-m-long organ pipe at 20 degree's if (a) it is open (b) it is closed. Answers: a) 248 overtones, 249 overtones

What I thought you could do was v/2L and v/4L... 343/(2 x 2.14) = 80 and 40... not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if these examples help - http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/sound/u11l5b.html [Broken]

To get a higher pitch, one has to shorten the length of the string.

Try f1 * L1 = f2 * L2, where f is frequency, and then the finger is place x = L1 - L2, and I think you can handle it from here. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I would use.

.73 m x 330 Hz = L2 x 440 Hz.

L2 = .547 not the same as the answer 1...

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Can somone please help me with these problems? :( It is due soon.

1. What are the problems with sound?

The two main problems with sound are noise pollution and hearing loss.

2. How does noise pollution affect us?

Noise pollution can lead to various health issues such as stress, sleep disturbances, and cardiovascular diseases. It can also impact our communication and productivity.

3. What are the sources of noise pollution?

Some common sources of noise pollution include transportation (road, air, and rail), industrial activities, construction, and recreational activities (concerts, sporting events, etc.).

4. How can we prevent or reduce noise pollution?

Noise pollution can be prevented or reduced by using noise barriers, soundproofing materials, and implementing regulations and guidelines for noise control in industries and public spaces.

5. How does loud noise lead to hearing loss?

Exposure to loud noise can damage the delicate structures in our ears, leading to gradual hearing loss. It can also cause tinnitus, a persistent ringing or buzzing sound in the ears.