1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2^n+1 = m^2

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I'm looking to solutions of: [tex]2^n+Q=m^2[/tex] , where [tex]Q=1[/tex] .
    Obviously, n must be odd.
    I already know the trivial solution: [tex]2^3+1=3^2[/tex] and I've started using a naive PARI/gp program for finding (n,m) up to n=59 . No success yet.
    Do you know about other solutions or about some theory ?

This is related to Pell numbers [tex](P,Q)=(2,-1)[/tex] and to a series of Prime numbers studied by Newman, Shanks and Williams, called NSW numbers, and generated by: [tex](P,Q)=(6,1)[/tex] .
    The idea is to have [tex]D=P^2-4Q=2^n[/tex] and [tex]Q=\pm 1[/tex] .
    Since Mersenne numbers are square-free, (2,-1) is the unic solution for Q=-1.
    About Q=1, I don't know ...

Tony

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I don't know the solution, but this is how I would look at it. First of all we are looking at odd numbers, although before we do I would like to mention:

[tex]2^0 + 1 = 1^2[/tex]

Right so the from we have is:

[tex]2^{2m + 1} + 1 = 2 \cdot 2^{2m} + 1 = 2 \cdot \left( 2^m \right)^2 + 1 = 2a^2 + 1 = p^2[/tex]

So you are looking for the integer solutions of:

[tex]2 a^2 + 1 = p^2 \quad \text{where:} \quad a = 2^m \quad m, \, p \, \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

Now, it's not too difficult to deduce from that that p must be odd. Not only that but p - 1 must be twice another square number. Hence:

[tex]p^2 = \left(2q + 1\right)^2 = 4q^2 + 4q + 1[/tex]

So:

[tex]2q^2 + 2q = a^2[/tex]

[tex]q^2 + q = 2^{2m - 1}[/tex]

[tex]q(q + 1) = 2^{2m - 1}[/tex]

Which is a contradiction for q > 1. Now look at q = 1, which is p=3 and your solution. :smile:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    Thanks !

Thanks ! That proves that (n,p)=(3,3) is the unic solution of [tex]2^n+1=p^2[/tex].
    Thanks to your proof, I think I have something shorter:
    [tex]2^n+1=p^2 \leftrightarrow 2^n=(p-1)(p+1)[/tex] .
    In order to have both [tex]p-1=2^\alpha[/tex] and [tex]p+1=2^\beta[/tex], it is clear that there is only 1 solution: [tex]p=3[/tex] .

Thanks !
    Tony

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?