Newbie Questions About Light & Resonance - Get Answers Here!

• Thread starter Bob Busby
  • Start date
In summary: The relationship between wavelength and frequency is defined by the equation c = frequency * wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. So even though there may be infinite ways to make the product of frequency and wavelength equal to c, there are still many different frequencies and wavelengths. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between light and prisms, as well as the concept of resonance. It is mentioned that light splits into multiple wavelengths when interacting with a prism, and this raises the question of how there can be many different frequencies when the speed of light in a given medium is constant. The answer is that each wavelength is associated with a frequency, and there can be many different combinations of frequency and wavelength that equal
Bob Busby
Excuse my noobness but I can't find answers to these from searching.

When lights interacts with a prism it splits off into multiple wavelengths. Doesn't that imply that the incoming light consists of multiple wavelengths? My question is, since the speed of light in a given medium is constant (c = frequency * wavelength) how can there many different frequencies?

Secondly, and this is a little vague, I noticed when I was in my bathroom and was running the fan, whenever I sang a certain note it was like I could hear the fan louder (as if my head were vibrating). I think this has to do with something called resonance but I don't know that topic very well. What is happening?

If you don't want to answer my questions at least direct to somewhere that I can read about them. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob Busby said:
When lights interacts with a prism it splits off into multiple wavelengths. Doesn't that imply that the incoming light consists of multiple wavelengths? My question is, since the speed of light in a given medium is constant (c = frequency * wavelength) how can there many different frequencies?

Because there are many different wavelengths.

But doesn't frequency determine wavelength or vice versa? I understand how there are infinite ways to make the product of the two = c but isn't there only one wavelength associated with one frequency?

Yes, each wavelength is associated with a frequency. However, since there are many wavelengths, there are many frequencies.

Hello,

Don't worry about being a "newbie," we all have to start somewhere! Let me try to answer your questions about light and resonance.

Firstly, you are correct in thinking that light consists of multiple wavelengths. This is known as the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all the different types of light, from radio waves to gamma rays. Each type of light has a different frequency and wavelength, which determines its properties and behavior.

The speed of light in a given medium, such as air or water, is indeed constant. However, when light passes through a medium, it can interact with particles and molecules in that medium, causing it to bend or scatter. This results in the different wavelengths being separated, as you observed with the prism. So, while the speed of light remains constant, its direction and wavelength can change as it interacts with different materials.

As for your second question, you are correct in thinking that resonance is involved. Resonance is the phenomenon where an object vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to a specific external frequency. In your case, the fan was producing a certain frequency, and when you sang at the same frequency, it caused the air molecules in your bathroom to vibrate, amplifying the sound and making it seem louder to you.

If you would like to learn more about these topics, I suggest looking into the properties of light and the concept of resonance. There are many online resources available, such as scientific articles and educational videos, that can provide more in-depth explanations and examples.

I hope this helps, and keep asking questions and learning!

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons and can travel in waves.

2. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and refraction. When light is absorbed, it transfers its energy to the matter. When it is reflected, it bounces off the surface of the matter. Refraction occurs when light passes through a medium, such as water or glass, and changes direction.

3. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is exposed to a periodic force that matches its natural frequency. This causes the object to vibrate at a larger amplitude and can lead to a buildup of energy in the system.

4. How does resonance relate to light?

Light can also exhibit resonance when interacting with certain materials. This can result in the emission of light at specific frequencies, known as fluorescence or phosphorescence. Resonance can also occur in the form of absorption, where the material absorbs light at specific frequencies.

5. How is light used in everyday life?

Light has many uses in our daily lives, including providing us with vision, helping plants grow through photosynthesis, and allowing us to communicate through technologies such as fiber optics. It is also used in medical imaging, solar panels, and various forms of lighting.