Can Two O Blood Group Parents Have a Child with AB Blood Group?

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
In summary, it is not possible for two O blood group parents to have a child with blood group AB. It is also not possible for two AB parents to have a child with blood group O.
Suraj M
Gold Member
Is it possible for two O blood group parents to have a child with blood group AB, well this has happened, so I've heard, but how?
I can understand how 2 AB group parents can have a child tested as O blood group, but how is, the other way around, possible?

Biology news on Phys.org
Suraj M said:
Is it possible for two O blood group parents to have a child with blood group AB, well this has happened, so I've heard, but how?
I can understand how 2 AB group parents can have a child tested as O blood group, but how is, the other way around, possible?
"so I've heard" is not an acceptable reference. If you have published evidence for this, please cite the source.

"Ancient aliens wrote the U.S. Constitution, so I've heard." See how authoritative that sounds?

It's not genetically possible for two O group parents to produce a child who is group AB. Somebody's mixed up, mistaken, or lying.

Likes Suraj M and Ygggdrasil
Ygggdrasil said:
t is also not possible for two AB parents to have a child with blood group O.
2 AB can have a baby tested as O, they can if both the parents are heterozygous ##Hh## there is a chance that the baby will be tested as O though the child belongs to bombay blood group..
SteamKing said:
so I've heard" is not an acceptable reference. If you have published evidence for this, please cite the source.
Actually my friend is AB and both her parents are O, and i am sure she's not adopted, and I've heard it is possible from my teacher :)
I'm surprised at the statistics of 1 in a million, thanks Raghav :)

1. What does it mean to have "2 O parents and an AB Child"?

Having "2 O parents and an AB Child" means that both parents have blood type O and their child has blood type AB. This is possible because each parent contributes one gene for blood type to their child, and the child's blood type is determined by a combination of these genes.

2. How is it possible for two O parents to have an AB child?

Since blood type is determined by the presence or absence of certain antigens on red blood cells, having two O parents means that both parents have no A or B antigens. However, the AB blood type is possible if the parents are heterozygous, meaning they each carry one gene for type A and one gene for type B. When combined, these genes create the AB blood type in the child.

3. Is it common for two O parents to have an AB child?

No, it is not common for two O parents to have an AB child. The chances of this happening are only about 1 in 25, or 4%.

4. Can two AB parents have an O child?

Yes, two AB parents can have an O child. This is because both parents can carry a recessive gene for type O, which can be passed on to their child. However, this is also not a very common occurrence.

5. Are there any health implications for having "2 O parents and an AB Child"?

No, there are no known health implications for having "2 O parents and an AB Child". Blood type is only one aspect of a person's overall health and does not have any significant impact on their well-being.