1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 part washer method?

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the volume of the solid formed when rotating f(x) = 4x-x^2 and y=4 and x=0 about the y-axis.

Using the disc/washer method.

2. Relevant equations

v = pi * integral from a to b of (r^2) * thickness

3. The attempt at a solution

I already did it using the shell method and got 128/3 pi.

I am getting confused on how to do this, I believe it will need to be setup in 2 parts? Refer to my image sketch:

[PLAIN]http://k.minus.com/je3SvPydQUFsp.png [Broken]

Where I think the 2 parts are split by x=2. From x=0 to x=2 I see a disc method and then from x =2 to x=4 I see the washer method. However because the disc/washer method is perpendicular to the axis of rotation (y) that means that the thicknes of the disc/washers will be dy, which means the limits of integration would be in terms of y. Therefore I don't see how I can set it up with 2 equations with different integrals.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The volume is formed by rotation about the x-axis. The disks/washers should be vertical, not horizontal.

They should be washers for this problem.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Sorry it is about the y-axis , it was a mistype in the question on my part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook