Finding Volume of Solid Using Disc/Washer Method for Rotation about the Y-Axis

• Thread starter ParoXsitiC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the problem is to find the volume of the solid formed by rotating functions f(x) = 4x-x^2 and y=4 and x=0 about the y-axis. The disc/washer method is used, with the equation v = pi * integral from a to b of (r^2) * thickness. The solution is split into two parts, from x=0 to x=2 using the disc method and from x=2 to x=4 using the washer method. The limits of integration are in terms of y, since the thickness of the discs/washers is dy. The volume is formed by rotation about the y-axis, not the x-axis, so the discs/washers should be
ParoXsitiC

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of the solid formed when rotating f(x) = 4x-x^2 and y=4 and x=0 about the y-axis.

Using the disc/washer method.

Homework Equations

v = pi * integral from a to b of (r^2) * thickness

The Attempt at a Solution

I already did it using the shell method and got 128/3 pi.

I am getting confused on how to do this, I believe it will need to be setup in 2 parts? Refer to my image sketch:

[PLAIN]http://k.minus.com/je3SvPydQUFsp.png

Where I think the 2 parts are split by x=2. From x=0 to x=2 I see a disc method and then from x =2 to x=4 I see the washer method. However because the disc/washer method is perpendicular to the axis of rotation (y) that means that the thicknes of the disc/washers will be dy, which means the limits of integration would be in terms of y. Therefore I don't see how I can set it up with 2 equations with different integrals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The volume is formed by rotation about the x-axis. The disks/washers should be vertical, not horizontal.

They should be washers for this problem.

SammyS said:
The volume is formed by rotation about the x-axis. The disks/washers should be vertical, not horizontal.

They should be washers for this problem.

Sorry it is about the y-axis , it was a mistype in the question on my part.

1. What is the "2 part washer method?"

The "2 part washer method" is a scientific technique used to separate and isolate different components in a mixture. It involves using two different solvents, typically water and an organic solvent, to dissolve and extract different parts of the mixture.

2. How does the "2 part washer method" work?

The "2 part washer method" works by taking advantage of the different solubility properties of the components in a mixture. The first solvent, usually water, is used to dissolve and extract the water-soluble components, while the second solvent, typically an organic solvent, is used to dissolve and extract the organic-soluble components.

3. When is the "2 part washer method" used?

The "2 part washer method" is commonly used in analytical chemistry and biochemistry to purify and isolate specific compounds from a mixture. It is also used in industrial processes for separating and recovering valuable components from waste streams.

4. What are the advantages of using the "2 part washer method"?

One of the main advantages of the "2 part washer method" is its simplicity and efficiency. It is a relatively easy and cost-effective method for separating and purifying components in a mixture. It also allows for a high degree of control over the separation process, making it a versatile technique for various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the "2 part washer method"?

While the "2 part washer method" is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it can only be used for separating components with significantly different solubility properties. It may also not be suitable for separating components with similar solubilities or for large-scale separations.