Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Piece hammock frame?

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    I want to put a hammock in my room but dont want to damage the walls from putting too much lateral pull on a 2X4 stud. So I decided that I need a hammock stand, but dont want a huge ugly thing spanning my room. Do you think its possible to build two seperate free standing supports that can support two people in a hammock? I figure some sort of L shape with a bracket,, maybe metal instead of wood for strength, that can just sit on opposite walls and not be too noticable. also maybe a Y shape for the floor part so it doesnt tip over sideways. Thoughts! Opinions! Ideally I will dissconnect one side when not in use so I can pass through the space easily.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pizzapop: Two freestanding supports, even in an L shape, generally would not be able to support the load, even for one person, and would pull in together, and overturn.

Instead, perhaps try something like this hammock stand, shown also here or here, taken from, e.g., http://hammocks.com/hammock-stands/metal-stands/exclusivedeluxefauxwoodhammockstands.cfm [Broken] page. Or http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/3/L11162998.jpg [Broken] it is again, from, e.g., this page.

They claim it can support a maximum occupant weight of 2000 N. The round steel tube size (outside diameter and wall thickness), of the larger tubes, appears to be perhaps 42.9 x 2.11 mm (?). But someone would need to actually measure and confirm the outside diameter (OD) and wall thickness of the above tube. (I am currently not sure if the OD of the larger tube shown in the above images is 41.3, 42.9, 44.5, or 47.6 mm.)

You could alternately use this double tube style.

Here, here, and http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7936/dwrmx.jpg [Broken] is another approach, which works well, using galvanized steel pipe supposedly having an OD of 33.4 mm, and a wall thickness of 3.38 mm. In the particular case of the second and third images here, this particular person used dimensions A = 3050 mm, B = 1525 mm, C = 915 mm. (However, his dimension C value sounds too small, and should be increased, to achieve adequate stability. Notice in the fourth link in paragraph 2, above, for a hammock attachment height of B = 1140 mm, they use dimension C = 1220 mm.) Also, most sources seem to recommend A = 3650 mm to 4570 mm, instead of 3050 mm. However, for dimension A > 4000 mm (?), you might need to increase the top horizontal pipe size to an OD of 42.2 mm, and a wall thickness of 3.56 mm. If you give us the exact dimensions you want to use, and the exact pipe or tube outside diameter and wall thicknesses available, which you plan to buy, then we might be able to get a better idea of adequacy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 8, 2012 #3

etudiant

Gold Member

It might be easier to mount a couple of 5 foot crossbeams on two opposite walls.
    You can fasten them to three studs, assuming the room has the usual 16" stud spacing.
    Then hook your hammock to the crossbeams when you need it.
    That should minimize the floor footprint and keep the stress on the wall structure low.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook